Beware of New PayPal Scam

Junky

Well Known Member
Got an email tonight from a company that I never heard of before, for a "purchase". I am so used to these type of scams, that I know how to check them out easily, however, this one was an invoice from what looked like PayPal. The first thing that I do, is to check the email address of the sender, and in this case, it was from a person using a city in SC website for their address. OK, so you might believe that this is legit, but I then go to the city website, and they are selling nothing. Next, I Google the item that I "supposedly purchased, and it brings me to what appears to be a legit website. Once I looked at the website, I realized that it was for woman's shoes, which I know that I have never visited before, so I just close it. Then I go back to the email, and thinking that there might be a mistake in the billing department with a mess up of the email, I click on the link in the website that says "Return to merchant/Cancel Payment", even though I didn't make any payment. I no sooner click on that button, when a PayPal sign in window appears. I know enough never to trust link, so I would have just closed it, when another warning pops up from my "Webroot" security program, warning me that this is a dangerous site. I closed everything, and reported it to PayPal. Who knows how many others will just click on one of the links, and have their identity stolen, before PayPal shuts down this scam.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your nicer than me. I don't care if it was a billing mistake or not. If my wife or I didn't order it, I don't click on, speak to, anyone or anything. I just delete any and all I don't instantly recognize. If they send a product I either keep it, throw it away, or give it to one of few charities.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Your nicer than me. I don't care if it was a billing mistake or not. If my wife or I didn't order it, I don't click on, speak to, anyone or anything. I just delete any and all I don't instantly recognize. If they send a product I either keep it, throw it away, or give it to one of few charities.

This is what I do I don't even click on it and if I'm not sure for some reason I call my credit card and let them smell around abit. I get scammers trying to tell me my Paypal account has been locked and it tells me to click on this here button right cheer to get it straightened out so I let Paypal know what's going on and they can handle it. I never click on the link provided in any of e-mails that are sent I always use my own dedicated link that I'm pretty sure its clean.

Mark

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There was an article in our daily newspaper, last week, about our state stopping telephone Robocalls. I'm sure, when people read it, there responses were the same " BULLSHIT" Guess what:dunno They did, do something. Now, I may get 1 or 2 calls a day. Before it wa 4 or 5.:bang Got an e-mail, on my computer the other day, telling me my McAfee account is running out on June 26, and I should go there, to renew it. These people never give up.:pan

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I signed up for the no call list 20 plus years ago. I have since signed up for the same list multiple times for home phone and cell. Doesn't matter. They still do it. And the government allows political calls which I find as offensive from either party compared to robocalls. The overseas robocalls they cannot do anything about also. So, if I am here in the states and want to robo call you even though your on a list, so what. I just spoof where the call comes from. So now my CA call looks like its coming from China.