Bias or Radial for bone stock 63 Impala resto?

Bias, radial, black wall or whitewall?

• Bias black wall

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Bias white wall

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Radial black wall

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Radial white wall

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

bobs409

Administrator
Thought I'd see what the masses have to say. :D

Car is bone stock and will only be driven locally maybe a few hundred miles a year. (no interstates and no racing!)

Also, black walls or white walls? (63 Impala, ermine white w/painted white wheels & dog dish caps)

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I voted for bias black wall based on your "bone stock" & "white wheels & dog dish caps" statements. I run Torque Thrusts & Black walls on my Super Sport & run also the snot out of so I have radials on it. I guess bias vs. radials really depends on whether you intend to drive it a lot or only drive to shows and home.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
I voted for bias whitewall before I read that you planned to go with white wheels and little hub caps, based on that I would change my vote to bias blackwall

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If I would have read before I voted I may have voted for bias black walls after seeing "dog dish hubcaps".

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well originally it most likely had bias tire's and about 1'' whitewall with impala full wheel cover.Just saying!!!!! But in your choice's i would go black wall radial tire's {radial's drive much nicer} white wheel's and your dog dish 63 hub cap's.Did you see a nos of 63 dog dish set went for $700.00 on e bay?????:yikes

bobs409

Administrator
Well originally it most likely had bias tire's and about 1'' whitewall with impala full wheel cover.Just saying!!!!! ?:yikes

Yep, still have the original full wheel covers but making this one change to dog dishes because I love them. :D I have 2 NOS caps I got from Phil, looking for 2 more.

I think the white wall option is out. Now I'm down to bias or radial black wall. :rub

62BillT

Well Known Member
Well, I get a lot of opposition on it, but I love Bias Ply Tires. Plus that was what was original on your car.

I also agree: Full Wheel Cover-White Walls, Dog Dish-Black Walls.

Bill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I wont disagree that the radials drive better but if the front end is rebuilt and in good shape the bias will be ok. And in my opinion the cars just look better with the bias tires. 50 years ago we drove these cars over a hundred mile an hour on bias ply tires and thought nothing of it. Actually most of the time I was on recaps!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
If you absolutely "have to".........:doh look stock go blackwall bias......I still say wheels like ishiftem's

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I drive the snot out of my car on bias tires. I prefer the way they look and even drive!

poison ivy

Well Known Member
ive acccccumulated a set of each and looking for more, 22 s on a stock 58 could appeal to many. dif spooks for dif fooks.

bobs409

Administrator
I wont disagree that the radials drive better but if the front end is rebuilt and in good shape the bias will be ok. And in my opinion the cars just look better with the bias tires. 50 years ago we drove these cars over a hundred mile an hour on bias ply tires and thought nothing of it. Actually most of the time I was on recaps!!

I put this car on the road in '83 and put 2K miles on it. It had bias plys then. Car never had radials in fact.

I'm leaning toward bias ply but those radial look alikes are interesting.(if I can justify the cost!)