Bias or Radial for bone stock 63 Impala resto?

Bias, radial, black wall or whitewall?

• Bias black wall

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Bias white wall

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Radial black wall

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Radial white wall

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

bobs409

Administrator
Just havin' a hard time deciding. There's good and bad to both. Since I don't show my vehicles, I really don't need to be so anal. :D While I would like it to look correct, it's A LOT of money to invest.

I'm also a bit concerned about quality. I see an awful lot of rubber products these days that last months before cracking!

Then I realized I will need 5 of whatever I choose! :eek3

One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't have the sought after 14 X 6 rims. Mine are 5.5's so I could go with 7.50's which are about $169 each at summit. Would I be happy with the look of skinny tires like this or would I be kicking myself? Oh the questions! :facepalm :gaah

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im in the same place you are, trying to decide, but like you said, there's so many to choice from. I haven't got the car ready for tires yet, but its sure hard
making that decision. I think I'll go with 4 - black wall ?.... cheaper, radials to start with. I would hate to buy the 800-14 bias and burn those off right away.
I went kind of crazy for awhile and now have 12 rims all sandblasted and in black primer, and 4- 14-6" white rims. Let me know what you decide.
You sure got something started here...... lol.
:burnout:burnout

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I also have 1-2 sets of tires to buy for my 62 SS 409 convertible (nassau blue) + my friends 62 SS 409 convertible(roman red) will need one set of tires.
I voted above for blackwall radials for my car with smooth sides is what I like.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I remember back in the day with my new 63 i did not have power steering with of course bias ply tires. But when i would put new tire's on up front ,it felt like it had power steering ,much easier to turn.I would rotate my tire's every 10,000 mile's ,you know burn the back one's off , move front's to back and put new in front. :D.So with radial tire's it may turn harder without power steering in your case ,don't know.Hate to steer you in the wrong direction {no pun intended}:doh Are you confused yet?????

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
They do turn harder with radials! But 45 lbs up front helps a little.