Biesemeyer boat

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I have a chance to buy a Biesemeyer boat....a 1957 model less motor...but complete with manifolds and marine water pump for a 348. It appears to be an old drag boat...no windshield....with a cavitation plate....but with through the transom exhaust ports and a seating configuration more like a runabout. Does anyone know anything about the early Biesemeyer boats? Russ

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a chance to buy a Biesemeyer boat....a 1957 model less motor...but complete with manifolds and marine water pump for a 348. It appears to be an old drag boat...no windshield....with a cavitation plate....but with through the transom exhaust ports and a seating configuration more like a runabout. Does anyone know anything about the early Biesemeyer boats? Russ

Is it 1" runner or a flat? Biesemeyer was always a desirable hull.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I'm not certain what a 1 runner is. I have not looked at the boat yet. It was described as a deep V bow and flat at the back. The photos seem to reflect that. What do I need to look for when I inspect it? When did Biesemeyer start manufacture? This must be an early boat. Side note....we must share some commom interest. We have a 16' Sport Craft with a Merc 400...a 22' Chris Craft U22....and a 1959 18' Boles Areo travel trailer.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The Schiada southern Ca. boat was also a great hull "back in the day" A couple of them even made it all the way to the east coast of MD. Were the Sangers an early boat with Schiada's and Biesemeyer's I have forgotten. I also liked the old east coast boats, Carey,Donzi and Magnum and can't forget the newer one Cigarette.
robert

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Rusty Biesemeyer began producing ski boat in 1956 located in Phoenix. He moved into race production...both drag and circle. Production stopped when he died in 1984...everything sold. I understand the racing hulls are still in limited production. The boat in question was purchased in either Phoenix or S Calif by the current owner in 1965. As a side note...Rusty Symmes bought a Z11 motor in the early 80's....out of a ski boat....in Phoenix. Could this be the donor boat. It was in Phoenix at the time....and the motor was removed in Phoenix. I'm looking at the boat this evening...and will have more of its history. Russ

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rusty Biesemeyer began producing ski boat in 1956 located in Phoenix. He moved into race production...both drag and circle. Production stopped when he died in 1984...everything sold. I understand the racing hulls are still in limited production. The boat in question was purchased in either Phoenix or S Calif by the current owner in 1965. As a side note...Rusty Symmes bought a Z11 motor in the early 80's....out of a ski boat....in Phoenix. Could this be the donor boat. It was in Phoenix at the time....and the motor was removed in Phoenix. I'm looking at the boat this evening...and will have more of its history. Russ

Keep us posted on this.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
The boat turns out to not be the donor for Rusty's Z11...the original motor for the Frank Sanders car. The owner bought the boat in 1963 with a 425 hp W in it. Later relocated to Phoenix...and then on to Colorado. The motor was removed and sold about 9 years ago. The boat was complete less the motor...but had suffered from setting outside for several years. It's full of "stuff"...it's alot like some of the cars we all drag home....except there is no rust. Needs everything. The fiberglass is surprisingly nice. Best of all the accessories for the 409 are all there...aluminum Edelbrock manifolds...the complete water pump assembly (which looks exactly like the fuel pump for an injector system)...all the block off plates...and speciality plumbing. Yes...it's in my driveway....afterall the trailer tires were up and one tail lite worked!!! Russ

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Aw comon Russ. You know Susan can do it!
:roll

You don't have to tell all my secrets...do you? Spent part of the day cleaning out pine cones and hicory nuts....and other stuff??? The boat's structure is very good...seats are history...mechanics seem to be largely complete and sound. I'm missing an adapter ring that adapts the trans bolt pattern to a chevy block. I didn't get to the pictures today...but I will. Russ

No409

Supporting Member 1
does any of you know anything about Spico hulls?

i have a 63 Spico flat bottom v-drive with a 62 348hp 389 short block, with i believe 68 RA1 heads and intake

i cant find any info on spico boats. It was in cali till 04, now a mass resident. Casale box with reverse. Its set up for skiing right now

Attachments

• DSCN0757.jpg
    DSCN0757.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 73

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Didn't work with the boat yesterday....so no pics yet. I got side tracked looking at a 65 SS 340hp car. Russ

RCampbell

Well Known Member
ugly duck

Here's some quick pics. The old boat is pretty sound and I'm figuring out the drive train.

Attachments

• PA170419.JPG
    PA170419.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • PA170420.JPG
    PA170420.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 61
  • PA170421.JPG
    PA170421.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
  • PA170422.JPG
    PA170422.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 65
  • PA170423.JPG
    PA170423.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 58

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Piston pics for loafer409

Hope these help. Russ

Attachments

• PA170428.JPG
    PA170428.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PA170427.JPG
    PA170427.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PA170426.JPG
    PA170426.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 38
  • PA170425.JPG
    PA170425.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 31

paul nelson

I am looking for more info on Biesemeyer boats.I just got an old (1958?) with all the original hardware, glass windshield and i am going to restore it....
any info will help

Hans Larson

A friend of mine bought a 1958 Biesmeyer last spring with the original 348 Chevy in it. He is now in the process of restoring it. I talked to a dragboat guy in CA and he is almost finished with a book about Biesmeyer. It might be ready for publishing, I will check on that. Nice boats by the way.....

Bis1.jpgBis2.jpg

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Paul, I bought the 57 Biesemeyer....finished the motor...worked a bit on the boat. What kind of info are you looking for?