Big block water pumps

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well after 24 years and 30,000+ miles my Stewart water pump on our 66 427 is leaking..... :doh .
Sent an email to Stewart to see if they supply a rebuild kit.
The same new pump is almost US$200. (was US$80. in 1998) which will almost double delivered to my door in Ontario.....:confused.
Any suggestions for a 'good' economical big block short pump.......:read.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Go to a motor and pump rebuild place. They will have mechanical seals to replace yours. Bring disassebled pump with you so they can take measurements. Probably $20.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I purchased a bearing assembly for my tractor's leaf vacuum that turned out to be from a Chey truck water pump. I ordered it from a local parts house. I think I just looked through a bearing catalog using the dimensions like wristpin mentioned.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Good suggestions, thanx........ :good

Stewart replied and said they do not supply a rebuild kit for my pump, sorry......:thumbdown.

So much for customer service.....:rolleyes

wristpin

Well Known Member
I google earthed your town. Bring pump to fastenal and see if they have mechanical seal kit.
Also Desco plumbing and heating or Ideal supply. They may have what you need or have info.
BTW wear rubber gloves when touching rebuild kit as acid salts in fingers will decay carbon ring.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well after 24 years and 30,000+ miles my Stewart water pump on our 66 427 is leaking..... :doh .
Sent an email to Stewart to see if they supply a rebuild kit.
The same new pump is almost US$200. (was US$80. in 1998) which will almost double delivered to my door in Ontario.....:confused.
Any suggestions for a 'good' economical big block short pump.......:read.
Ya screw Stewart, I had a SBC pump of theirs that leaked and Stewart want big bucks to fix it. I laughed at the lady on the phone and told her "guess you don't need return customers" she didn't have much to say. I just use the rebuilt ones off Amazon now. No leaks and good prices.