Big Inch Small Block From 1962

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I need to take this to work and see if I can get the block department guys to try it. I just scrapped a 307 block last week because there were no parts we could use.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Reminds me of a guy I knew in the 60's.

Ran some stock class, 62 Chevy. He took his 327 and over bored one side, someone said he sleeved it and bored that side something stupid to balance the othe side(?).

Every time he would win they would tear him down to measure his cylinders. He always pulled one of the heads, the standard bore!!

This night when he began to take it apart one of the techs said, no I want the other head off!!

I turned and started laughing and left, I knew how this story was going to end, LOL LOL LOL

427John

Well Known Member
This is the article from the 1962 Hot Rod Yearbook annual isn't it?Can you imagine all the machining that block needed after all the welding/brazing?One of these engines has to take the prize for most man/hours expended.I liked the tone of the article too it kind of led you to believe that this wasn't that big a deal and that it could happen at just about any reputable shop,could you imagine trying to find a shop that had those skills today.When I was a kid I remember that most machine shops in my area had someone on staff that was competent at welding/brazing cast iron,nowadays most shops won't touch it and recommend sending it to someone who specializes in cast iron welding which in Spokane means sending it to a guy in Seattle.