Big intake/little heads - pros and cons?

Sum1sellmea409

Ok, I managed to score an aluminum single 4 barrel intake (3814678) for a good price, but the only heads I have to work with are small port 333's. After reading through a handful of threads here and elsewhere, it appears there are people running this combination, without port work (which surprised me), BUT it looks like the other problem is that the 4 bolt holes that are ears sticking out will not line up with the small port heads, and the ears may interfere with the fit of the valve covers? This intake is in pretty good original shape, with no work done on it. Given the rarity of the single 4bbl aluminum intakes, my question is this: Am I better off selling it and putting the money towards the new Edelbrock single 4bbl intake for small port heads? Correctness and numbers matching are not a concern.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The short answer would be yes,sell it and get the Edelbrock rather than modifing that factory piece making it un-sellable for someone looking for corect parts for thiers.The Edelbrock will make more power anyway.

Sum1sellmea409

Thanks. I knew when I bought it that it wouldn't be ideal, and maybe wouldn't work at all, but I couldn't pass it up. I figure I can sell it, give the next owner a bit of a deal and still be $50 closer to the Edelbrock than I was before.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I used one long ago without problems. I ground the ears off so it looked like a SBC intake and bolted it on with a 750 Holley. I did not match port anything. I think I used the big port gaskets trimmed? It ran great but lacked the 2x4 look. Only option back then was the Offy 2x4 with AFBs. Still running that setup.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Put spacers under the valve covers to eliminate the interference without cutting off the ears. Cut off some bolts and epoxy them into the slot in the ears.....nobody will know you have little heads unless you race.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Not sure what you paid for the 678 manifold but I see them going for around $400.00, I got lucky and found one for $200.00, good luck with your build. Pat:dance