Billet Timing Chain Cover 348 409

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Has anyone used one? Does it fit behind stock water pumps ok? The seal looks odd size or something, I looked them up and they said it came with seal but couldnt tell if it was factory seal. Almost looks like it goes in from rear from picture.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here you go! Looks like a stock seal to me!! Don’t know about the water pump clearance! I’ll let you know when i put the motor together!! I’m guessing it won’t but I’ll make it work!

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is it going to be sturdy enough to add an adjustable cam stop of some kind?
How much pressure do you think its going to push against the cover? 10lbs? 30lbs? 50lbs? I am very doubtful it will have any issues but we are planning on making covers for roller cams and accessory drives like a fuel pump should someone see the need to run one of our Algon/Hilborn injection style intakes. Either way, we plan on printing water pumps too so maybe it can help hold that cam button in place. ;)

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How much pressure do you think its going to push against the cover? 10lbs? 30lbs? 50lbs? I am very doubtful it will have any issues but we are planning on making covers for roller cams and accessory drives like a fuel pump should someone see the need to run one of our Algon/Hilborn injection style intakes. Either way, we plan on printing water pumps too so maybe it can help hold that cam button in place. ;)
I can tell you it is enough to flex a stock steel cover. Plenty of examples in the SBC world and the water pump may help. Ideally the thing is adjustable to some extent.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can tell you it is enough to flex a stock steel cover. Plenty of examples in the SBC world and the water pump may help. Ideally the thing is adjustable to some extent.
The amount of strength and flex and be accounted for in the final design. I have a couple of roller cams I'm itching to try. Thankfully there are a few members on here I can pull from for input on the design once we are close to the production piece. The design we have now bolts on perfectly. Anyone with a stock set up and no need to swap cams could bolt on this cover but its not going to be sold to the public until I have a bunch of time on my own engine. I have been so focused on getting the intakes done/ready for Dragway 42 that I haven't ventured any further than the design of the timing cover we have already.

427John

Well Known Member
I can see incorporating an adjustable flex stop into the back of the water pump as a good option. The cover would need to be mighty thick to be able to resist flex by itself.