biscayne 409 question

wyatterp58

I have a 1962 Chevy Biscayne (four door) with a factory 409/4-speed. The vin number is 21269S214282. I have the original broadcast sheet, and several other documents proving the originality of this car. It was originally issued to Texaco Oil as an executive car and has a driver's side spotlight intact. The car is in extremely well kept survivor condition. Obsessive might be a better word than extreme. My question is: I would like to know if it is possible to determine how many Biscayne's were produced in this configuration. Of the 15,019 409's built in '62, how many of these "freak" cars came off the line. Once again, a very well documented car, so there is no question on paperwork. Any info would really make my day on this one! Thanks, Eric

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Let's see pics.

Sounds like an interesting car Eric!

Attachments

• ttiwwop.gif
    ttiwwop.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 477

Va348

Supporting Member 1
I know for a fact there was one in Va. in 62 to 64 . 4dr 62 409 hp 4 speed. Could not believe someone would order a 4 dr. Sure would like to find it now! ( It was black)

Dale

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
62 Biscayne

Wyatt:

Your car is beige with a beige interior. It is a 380HP 4-speed. It has the heavy duty 15" rims. And it is a GENNIE!!!! It's the only documented 4-door I have seen. Not saying there aren't others but I haven't seen any.

I've known your car for about 10 to 12 years. Probably should have bought it myself. Belonged to a good friend of mine!! Can't have them all. I bought a station wagon instead!!

Phil

wyatterp58

Hello Phil, looks as though you do recall my car. Do you know Bill Prizer? he was the p revious owner. I have attempted to contact him in N.H. but he does not return my calls (2). I was hoping to come up with some more info on this car. As I stated, it would be most definitely of interest to find out how many were produced.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 529

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
WHAT?

Wow, this is a real strange turn. I never knew this!

I'd like your permission to add some of these photos to my website!

And now a question for Phil. I don't know why I haven't asked it before.

Have you ever heard of a guy named Charlie McElroy from the sixties? He had a car he named 'The Pied Piper' and mostly ran it in local (north central Texas) drag strip - as far as I know. I know it ran on the Forest Hill, Kennedale and possibly Green Valley Raceway.

Let me know guys!

:cool:

wyatterp58

you may certainly use any of the photos for your website. Feel free to ask me for specific shots. I recently bought a very nice digital camera that excels in extreme (2"-3") close up (macro) images. This car has an untouched original interior. There are still tarnished safety pins attached to a copper wire and held on with the rear window trim screws, on each corner of the rear window where the owner meticulously placed a piece of cloth across the rear of the back seat to prevent sun damage. The interior was covered in vinyl it's entire life, recently removed, exposing the virgin upholstery. I'm thinking about recovering it again, but hesitate to unbolt the seats. Got that good ole Chevy smell too.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
photos

That is one C@@L 62.
Thanks for posting the pics.
Never knew that such a car existed.
The coolest Four door I've ever seen.
and probably the only four door that commands respect.

saboo

4 door 409

there is a guy down the road that has a 409 four door 4 speed car that when i dropped off a bunch of 09 parts years ago was setting to be restored. looked to be all orginial. car is done now. big collector with great cars. old reliable, and a couple other z cars and such. must admit that this one is a gem, would be a great find and a tresure to have.