biscayne 409 question

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice Pics.

Wow Eric! :eek:Those are some nice shots of a very unique and great looking car. Thanks for posting/sharing :)

Attachments

• thumbsup_2.gif
    thumbsup_2.gif
    532 bytes · Views: 208

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Wyatter58
That's a great car!! Very unusual, I was wondering, where was the build sheet located? Also, could you post a picture of the block stamp pad? Thanks for sharing:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Birthdate and location

Nice '62 "more door" !!! I've heard of these, but never seen one so pristine :)

I was interested in your response to Tommy's question: "Very unusual, I was wondering, where was the build sheet located?" since I have just nearly torn my one owner '62 Impala apart looking for same. Not in the interior at least. Haven't checked the gas tank as yet. Where did you locate yours?

And am I correct in assuming that this was a St. Louis build, or am I getting that code on the door jamb mixed up?

Thanks again for sharing the pics (now that Wrench has them, they will be smartly preserved in his growing reservoir of super shots!) and congrats on getting the car. The previous owner has had some cars done by Phil (if I got the name correct) and was mentioned in a recent Chevy Rumble issue for several cars (1961s and I think a 1958).

You need to bring that more door car to Kansas City next Fall to let us all drool over it :) :) :)

Cheers,
TomK

wyatterp58

thanks everyone for the nice comments on my car! The previous owner located the broadcast sheet. Where it was specifically found in the car, I do not know at this time. I am in the midst of garnering more background on this car, and should have substantial more info available in the near future. The engine stamp was tough to photograph, but I got it! Have fun perusing these. Eric

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 184
409's were not available with automatics or 3 speed OD's. Off hand I don't know if there was a HD3 speed available or if dealer order forms REQUIRED a 4 speed. The fact 409's with 3 speeds ar around don't mean squat, if on a dealer order form the 409 otion REQUIRED a 4 speed. Point being, the 409 was available on all models thus anyone wanting a 409 4 speed anything only had to order one. Although 4 doors and wagons (other than police) would be very rare.

saboo

remember fran

fran, do you remember about a million years ago when you were rounding up parts for the Tonawanda museum i brought you up a bunch of parts from pa. 09 block and really can't remember what all to grand island. might be two million years ago. mike

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
HD 3speeds

I think there was a HD 3speed available. I remember someone at the old board posting something about it. If I remeber correctly the input shaft was straight and didn't have part of it machined down just behind the splines. I think they came in taxi cabs and police cars mainly.
PS my 63 originally had a 3 speed. Don't know if it was different as its been gone for many years.
Ross

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The way I remember it was that the 3 speeds behind 6 cylinders all had the stepped down input shaft. Those for V8s all had the full size input shaft. My 1964 parts manual lists # 3837553 as being the 3 speed for 62-64 409s, amoung other applications. It was also used on 327 aplications and no mention of it being HD.

SteveD

sabo: Ya, a LONG time ago! (15 years?). Now I'm unloading my collection of '09 parts, I'm finding their more valuable than thought!.

I was trying to find out ACCURATE info on 3 speed 09's, seems I was right about 64,maybe 63?, 62????. There were three 3 speeds, light duty, light duty w/od,and HD (possibly HD close ratio). Again, dealer order forms should tell what was required. As in "only available with" or "requires xxx".