Black dash paint on a 63

bobs409

Administrator
Where is the best source to find the correct sheen black for a dash? I'm considering doing mine but only if it will look factory. Any chance that GM chassis paint is the same??? :D (doubtful)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, the best thing I have found is PPG Duracryl acrylic lacquer and I don't use a clear coat over the top. I am just now orderin Coronado Red for my 60' Ventura and it's not cheap. I used it on my Bel Air and it looks very good.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bob,
I have factory colors/paint codes for the interiors from 3 different paint companies for 63's - they would have to be crossmatched to todays paints.
Actually I have all the original interior colors 59 to 64 - the list was published years ago by Late Great Chevy Club.
I have all my dashes in the "flat or Sheen " to reduce the glare on the windshield.
I have to dig them out when I get home.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The interior chart was/is in the Feburary 1999 Late Great Chevy magazine -its for 59 to 63 Chevys

The chart has for 1963:
1961 & 1962 black dashes have the same numbers for Black Gloss
Black gloss
Dupont No 44
R-M No 400
Ditzler Dal No 9248

Black Flat
Dupont No 44
RM No 400
Ditzler Dal No 9292

Chart also states that:
"Again in 1963, the dashes and some interior metal pieces where semi gloss".
"Chevrolet stated "some Dupont and Rinshed-Mason (RM) paints come only in gloss and flattner must be added".

I have some paint types we used on a red 62 dash with instructions from my painter -using todays paints.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought you could just use the regular black mix with a flattener? My painter has the "recipe" for how he did my Roman Red 59, he used a single stage paint on the whole car, and just added something to the mix to take the gloss off.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
I noticed something on my original dash today. The panel in front of the speedometer, glove door and column appear to be a flatter black than the top dash which looks more semi gloss. This is an untouched original and if anything, the sun should have flattened the top of the dash, not those other parts.

Does this sound correct?

I'm thinking of just leaving it alone. The dash and steering column are the ONLY things I didn't take apart on this car. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, I just noticed the same thing on my four door. I finally got around to trying to clean the dash. It is a mess but I took a little compound and started to hand rub the dash a little. The top of the dash cleaned up and has a slight shine to it. When I tried rubbing around the speedometer, it wouldn't really clean up and stayed an almost flat sheen. I never noticed this before and didn't think much of it until reading you post.:dunno

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I made it a point over the years to check how original dashes looked in 61-64 chevys. I have found different colors between the dash steering column.
I do know that all these years had dashes that were flat or low sheen, never gloss. I recall some differences on the dash upper and lower area on some cars.
The steering columns were flat paint (in 2 or 3 different shades ) and the steering wheels were gloss with all 62 chevys having two tone steering wheels from the factory.
Paul

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. You learn something new everyday! :D I've decided to leave it alone. Sounds like a nightmare to try and duplicate it correctly.