Blaster coil?

Russ348

Well Known Member
O.K. I have the ready-to-run-billet distributor for the chevrolet w-engine
made by MSD. I have heard so much about the blaster coils, not to buy
if made in china or made in India its o.k, that I don't know which coil is good. :dunno
Can someone tell me which blaster coils #'s are o.k. and which ones
to stay away from. How about the NAPA coil # IC12? Opinions please. :)

Sorry to hear about your Ready to Quit dist, when it fails, let me know and we can fix it right.

Coils NOT to use:

RED Blaster II, have a "Made in Mexico" on the bottom P/N's 8202, 8203, these accout for more than 90 percent of both HEI and MSD module failures, layer shorting form insulation between p[rimary layers falls off, coils short, overwork modules, killing them.

The MSD Blaster II chrome, p/n 8200, and now, the Blaster III, p/n 8223, are still made in Andover, Indiana, have a "Made in USA" sticker on their bottoms, good coils.

Accel Super Stock coils, p/n's 8140, 8140C, 8145, 8145C are now made in TAIWAN, JUNK.

Suitable coils to use also,

Summit G5215 Chrome (actually, this coil is the same as the Blaster II 8200 chrome coil, Andover made)
NAPA IC12, same as the MSD/Summit, but black.

All the good coils above will run with/without a resistor, resist for a lesser electronic dist or points, no resistor with HEI and above, all are suitable for inductrion and CDI use.

Good luck with that RtQ.

Russ348

Well Known Member
RTQ response

Your ready to quit response couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you sell modifided distributors now could it? I have had many,many, many
good respones to the MSD 8393 distributers. Now how hard can it really be
to make a drop-in ready to go distributor? :brow There really is no rocket
science involved.

Russ

OK, with just at 400 conversions to the Ready to Quits, I guess that means I am full if ****, huh. Just because YOURS still runs, don't discount another opinion, from a person that fixes them EVERY day.

That's the same bull you shot at me that caused me to stop posting before.

For the record, yes I do make HEI and MSD conversions, not just for W engines, but for many different dists, from GM to Ford, DuCoil, MSD Ready to Run and trigger only dists, Accel, Mallory and older stuff as well.

That said, I was approached by a 30 year friend that both races his Mustang and builds hot rods for a living, to fix his RtR once and for all, because he had had it back to MSD five times, with same results, it kept breaking.

So, I did what I always do, I took his apart, found a really crappy module, and the same magnetic pickup I use, with way too short wires. What did I do, I changed the pickup, to the same MSD 8466-1 pickup, to get the wires wires long enough to route out the body, just like an MSD trigger only dist has, and then made a remote mounted HEI module and wiring.

I did it to 14 others that had those Ready to Quits running out of Muldoon's shop, and so far, NONE of them have had problems since, along with about 385 others I have domne the same conversion to.

It is too bad a few of you are so narrow minded with blinders that you choose to not believe someone in the ignition system business. I'm glad I can see what is good and bad, and fix it, that's been the way I have been all my life. I don't do massive amounts of these dists, but enough to know a bad part when I see it, and the RtR module is both a bad one and placed in the middle of the dist, soldered to the pickup, not a good deal at all, and it isn't even a high energy system, just a TCBI. Nice idea, crap moduile. MSD did this before, with another earlier design, had a blue module placed under the body, very high failure rate, I do a conversion to HEI for those as well, crucify me for it as usual, too.

I will say that barring two MSD products, they are the best systems available,m for racing and very heavily modified street engine use, but not needed for the average stock to moderately modified engines. Great products, recommended by me many tiomnes, EXCEPT yhe Ready to Quit module and RED Made in Mexico Blaster II coils.

I knew Fatride would chime in with his flames and crap aimed at me, so, see all you later, last time. I don't need this, and his bull. Glad his works, it's a fluke.

BTW, NOBODY is suggesting, or forcing anyone to use my conversions and/or suggestions, NO-ONE, ESPECIALLY ME. Fatride expects you to do as he bids, though, that is for sure. Sure sounds like he doesn't want any of you to get ALL the facts. Too bad.

Don't bother responding, I won't be back to read it anyway.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ignitionman

Just sent Dave an email asking him to not quit again. He does have knowledge on what he says. I'm sure Ray has had good luck with his distributor, but some haven't. I will gaurentee you that the big boys Ray speaks of have different distributors and support from MSD that we would.
With all that said, I'm going to pull my new Accell Coil and see what it says on it. If it's one Dave says is no good, it's gone.

Fred

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Ray has a right to express his opinion on MSD,It's not Rays fault that Ignition Man quit :dunno

51T409

Well Known Member
glad to see you buddies sticking together . but if i answered a members question and you guys got on here and said to not pay any attention to my post BELIEVE ME I'D BE PISSED TOO !!! there's been over a 1,000 members on this site and with the attitudes like this most don't bother to post or have left.

Bubbletop Bel-Air

Well Known Member
Sorry to see this dissolve into a pissing contest. I have also had excellent service from all the different MSD setups I have owned over the years. Two complete 7AL-2 &3's, crank trigger, timing computer, pro coil, 8.5mm wire, in drag cars. MSD6, cap, rotor, coil, and 8.5mm wire in my boat, and just the 8.5mm wire in my bubbletop. One drag car was a SBC powered Vega Super Gas car with 5.57's in the rear that regularly spun 8500+ rpm in the lights and never missed a beat. Seems to work in all my junk, my .02. :cheers

Russ348

Well Known Member
Sorry

Sorry about the hard feelings on my choice of componets. I
really only asked about the blaster coils. Somehow the post got
sidetracked to msd distributors. :dunno

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Don't worry about it, Russ. I've been watching this thread since it began, and ignition man was joking with you, that's all.

He shouldn't wear his feelings on his sleeve if he's going to kid around, though.

CAN'T.....CAN'T....CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!???!!!! :roll