Block Crack Fix

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
A friend has a torch similar to that. I have used it for hard surfacing combine parts. It requires propane, oxygen and hard surfacing powder.

I wonder what powder they are using for cast? And what gas they are using? You're right, very interesting crack fix.

chuckl

Well Known Member
A friend has a torch similar to that. I have used it for hard surfacing combine parts. It requires propane, oxygen and hard surfacing powder.

I wonder what powder they are using for cast? And what gas they are using? You're right, very interesting crack fix.
Do you know if the block, as a whole, was preheated before the welding began? Did the repairman start with a cold engine? :read:read

heddrik

Well Known Member
Looks similar to metal spray repair we used at American airlines turbo engine shop, on a smaller scale.?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How straight was the line bore, the decks, and how round were those cylinders after that? That block had to walk around after that! Interesting video,though.
Easy. Do the rough work before the precision work. The idea behind heating the parts before welding helps with that very issue among other benefits.

july2849

Well Known Member
I have a welded 348. Water jacket. Weld porosity turned into nightmare leaks. Every professional weld shop I talked to in my area to fix it refused and said It should have been brazed, then they could do something with it. So im stuck w/ locktite 290 and blue devil.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a welded 348. Water jacket. Weld porosity turned into nightmare leaks. Every professional weld shop I talked to in my area to fix it refused and said It should have been brazed, then they could do something with it. So im stuck w/ locktite 290 and blue devil.
Sounds like you are talking to the wrong welders. What ever has been done can be ground out and fixed. I have a 348, mig welded across the side, normal crack. Also an 2.5 exh man I welded the flange back on at #8. For the hard stuff I goto Rays cracked head repair. I have a block he did the main web on, waiting for me.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Boy I have one of those torch thingy's sitting on the shelf. It's an ESAB model but I have no torch so there it sits. When I welded my other 409 cracked block I used muggy weld and the stuff worked great. I just wished I have my AHP welder I have now, that sucker has the best arc welder I have ever used. I sold my Lincoln tombstone welder the next day.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I have a 409 block that's been ground into the water jackets when clearancing for a big-stroke crank and needs to "saved". Was figuring I'd either try the Muggy Weld rods or try to TIG it myself. Upon finding this video I thought something like this process might be an option if I could find it.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have a 409 block that's been ground into the water jackets when clearancing for a big-stroke crank and needs to "saved". Was figuring I'd either try the Muggy Weld rods or try to TIG it myself. Upon finding this video I thought something like this process might be an option if I could find it.

Muggy weld works great, just get the right arc welder but if you decide to tig weld it remove the flux on the rod, that's what the gut in the video did on a block he welded with it.