Block mounted 3-bolt starter?

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Getting ready to fire up dads 60 Chevy. I went from PG to 4spd and I am running a Lakewood. I know that there are block mounted starters that use 2 bolts, but is there a 3-bolt block mounted GM starter? I found that the rear outer bolt hole was cracked when the block came back from the machine shop. I ground and welded the crack, but I am concerned that it will fail one day at the worst time. If there is a starter that uses all 3 block holes I will feel much better.

Thanks.
Doc

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Starter

Doc
Yes there is a three bolt starter. Have been using one in the Blue Screamer
for a few years. Been known to break a few 2 bolt noses when the engine
kicks back. The nose on starter is cast iron. Do not remember what application
the starter was designed. Most likely a Big block. check with parts houses
see if they will work with you.
Allen

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
That was my plan if I couldn't get an idea from here. I just picture the parts guy lugging his 3rd or 4th starter to the counter and giving me that look like "this is the last one that I am bringing out to you". At least now I know there IS one available, but it would help to know a factory application.

Oh, and I am running 168tooth flywheel if anyone else has info.

Thanks.

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
If I had to I would, but I want to find a factory style GM starter. Thanks though.

Maybe I'll helicoil the bolt hole and take my chances.....:dunno

J & J

Well Known Member
starter

when you go to Auto Zone (yuk) ask them for a 70-71 5.7 w/ power glide this will get you a three bolt starter... or at least it is suppose to the Delco # is 1108338 or 1108350 or 1108382 or 1108520 let us know how it works out...

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Wow. You hit it right on the head!!! I didn't go to autozone, but I did do a search on the numbers that you provided and they are all 3-bolt, BLOCK MOUNTED starters. Here is the website with cross-reference numbers (might be valuable info to others as well): http://www.psep.biz/store/delco_1108332_thru_1109261_alternators_and_starters_by_oem_.htm#AHSDR0111
The last number that you gave, 1108520, should actually be 1108250 as indicated on the site, but thanks to you I was able to find it.

Thanks J&J.
Doc

when you go to Auto Zone (yuk) ask them for a 70-71 5.7 w/ power glide this will get you a three bolt starter... or at least it is suppose to the Delco # is 1108338 or 1108350 or 1108382 or 1108520 let us know how it works out...