block numbers

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Block 8788068 according to our site is 62 passenger 380 and 409 horse. Date A2962. Stamped T0228QD. It has 1 relief slot. Came out of a truck. 3.5 X4.3425 (.030 overbore).

Ray

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Being it has a relief cut it is a truck 409. I believe 252 horse. The qd I think is truck. Check with this site to be sure. I am only going from memory. Nothing wrong with a truck block! I had to cut a notch in my block very similar to a factory cut to clear my exhaust valve. Big lift and larger valves need some kind of notch.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So then apparently they used the same csting for car and truck engines. Change one letter on the stamping and you got a fake 409/409. That would explain how some of these "rare" engines show up on feebay.

I don't have a problem with truck blocks, just stuff more piston in it to get the compression you want. Maybe GM sonic tested the castings and inspected the blocks for core shift and used the best for trucks.............................................NOT
:roll:roll:roll:roll

Ray

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Blocks

I sonic tested a car block in the area where an exh. valve notch would be, and it is indeed much thicker there, so it could accomodate a notch. The base casting appears to be the same for car and truck.