blown55409 does the 1/8th mile

blown55409

Well Known Member
After 16 years that I first decieded to do this project and four years after I first heard the motor run, I finally took it to the track to see what it would do. I basically just drove it to the track then lowered the pressure in the 325-50x15s MT et streets to 20lbs and went for it. result!
1st run 7.15 @ 98,16 mph 60 ft. 1.64
2nd run 7.11 @ 98.52 mph 60 ft. 1.62
3rd run I tried to load the converter to much and I blew the tires away.
1st elimination run I dialed a 7.10 ran a 7.12 @ 99.29 but lost to a better RT.
In fact my RTs sucked on every run, but I was happy and I needed a beer.
other sats. car weight with my fat *** in it 4200lbs, 3.08 posi rear,pump gas
One of the funnest things was to watch the double takes people would do when they saw the motor from whats that, to is that really a 409, to some pretty intelligent questions. now if I can only find a couple of tenths I might be able to get it into the 6.90's. The search is on.
Very best regards
Chip

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chip, 1.62 60 ft with 3.08 gears?? Man, that car is quick. A 3.70 gear would be great in that car, but everyone knows why that is not practical. I , for one, hope you have caught the bug now and will run regularly. Reaction times dont happen overnight, takes practice. Sounds like your car is consistant, so a few more times at the drag strip, you should see some good times. Good luck and good racing. :cheers

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ronnie Russell said:
Chip, 1.62 60 ft with 3.08 gears?? Man, that car is quick. A 3.70 gear would be great in that car, but everyone knows why that is not practical. I , for one, hope you have caught the bug now and will run regularly. Reaction times dont happen overnight, takes practice. Sounds like your car is consistant, so a few more times at the drag strip, you should see some good times. Good luck and good racing. :cheers

1.62 60' times with a 3.08 gear,,,,,,,,,,that engine is an animal! :eek:

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Chip,

Excellent. Sorry I couldn't see it in person. For those that haven't seen Chip's car check out the recent thread on the Woodburn Oldies and Goodies. Chip's car is the one behind the picture of 4 old guys:roll with the awesome 409 with the 8-71 on it.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Way to go Chip !!!!:clap :cheers

Hope to see you run her again sometime! let me know next time you go,,, dq

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
conversion?

What does that figure in the 1320 world of things? Must be a formula.

blown55409

Well Known Member
Thanks for the encouraging replys.

I do have a 3.90 spool under the bench but I'm so close to my goal I'm going to stick with the 3.08's for now and see what I can do.

next maybe some new carb bodies, those tall choke housings on the 750 dp's have to be a hinderance to good air flow.

Hey dq check your e-mail I did send you a note saying I was going out on Wednesday sorry you missed it, I'll let you know if I go out before the Hot Rod Nats.

Those conversions from 1/8 to 1/4 mile times look good I can't wait to run her through the 1/4

Speaking of coversions I used to have a conversion program that would give rear wheel hp from weight and mph in the 1/4 mile , then would estimate your flywheel hoursepower, but I've missplaced it, Can anyone help me here.

Very best regards

Chip

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Way to go Chip!:beerbang I noticed that your 1/8th mile times are very similar to what we are running with the 55. The timeslip from my last run shows we ran 7.063 @ 97.08 in the 1/8th and 11.128 at 121mph in the quarter. Your time of 7.12 @ 99.29 suggests that you are making more horsepower than us but we are probably a bit faster off the line with the 4.11 gears and slicks. I know we were running on two different tracks with different weather etc. but my guess is that you would probably beat us by about a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile. (a car length) It would make for a great looking race.:beerbang You're making enough horsepower to run high tens through the quarter mile.:deal

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Nice run, Chip:beerbang

I can't wait to see you run at the Hot Rod Nationals in a couple of weeks. Woodburn is a better track, from what I've been told, than PIR so you may run a bit faster.

Hey Jim, you need to haul on out here to the left coast because you and Chip WOULD be a race to remember. Just imagine, two 409 powered 55's racing side by side in the low 11's way cool.:cool:

Boy, I'm getting twitchy just thinking about that.:eek:

Paul

blown55409

Well Known Member
jim ss409
I followed the build of your 55 I love it, if I come across another 55-6-7 with rear wheel wells that have been cut up I'll buy it, you see I just couldn't bring myself to cut up a stocker, BTW did I read that you had a recent win, congrads.
Your right about my motor making power with the calculators that Jim K (thanks Jim) supplied I figure that i'm around 655 at the rear wheels and 780 at the crank.wow! more than I expected. Too bad we live so far apart it would be great to see your can run.

gearhead409
I'm running a 6-71 teflon striped blower with 6% underdrive, 8lbs of boost

very best regards
Chip

blown55409

Well Known Member
gearhead, yes I have thought about swapping the pullies for a 6% overdrive and that might give me another 2-3lbs boost but I just used my last set of the good McCord head gaskets on the rebuild and while they seem to work at 8lbs, 10 to 12 might get iffy. However, eventually, I will give in to the temptation.
140 mph wow! I'm not so sure, remember my car is HEAVY all steel body, stock seats, full carpet and pad, roll bar.etc. All thouse things that make it a pussy cat on the street take a lot of hp to push it down the road in fact If those hp calculators are anywhere close for a 4200lbs car @ 140mph 1/4 mile speed they say it would take 900hp at the rear wheels = 1080 flywheel hp, but wait a 150hp NOS plate under each carb:rolleyes:
very best regards
chip

blown55409

Well Known Member
Gearhead, send me the info on your car I'm very interested, It's always good to see what others are doing, maybe we can both learn something.
very best regards
chip

blown55409

Well Known Member
gearhead

Our motors are very much alike, but at 2100 lbs that thing should have wings. What is it in (year, make) do you have any pictures posted?
I have a couple of questions, What head gaskets are you using? how much boost do you get? Is it because your car is so light that you don't use a timing retard under boost? finally where did you find that intake? I looked for a couple of years for one to buy and I couldn't even find one that wasn't for sale.
very best regards
chip

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gearhead & Chip,as long as I have you both here,I have a question.In 1 to 2 years I plan to do a rebuild on my 409 with a 427 crank.My question how much $$$$ I'm I looking at to top the 409 off with a blower,if I can find a Intake.

blown55409

Well Known Member
Jim

Back in the early 90's I had Don Hampton mill off most of the top of A single 4 big port intake and weld one of his 3/4 inch thick blower tops on it. It seems that the cost at the time was about $400.00 maybe more. At boost levels say 12lbs or less they seem to work fine. Dyers blowers in summit, Il is close to you and they advertise a 409 set up and know which length snout you need. check their web site Dyersblowers.com After you have the intake every thing else is off the shelf. I use a tensioner that mounts to the blower snout so there is no need for brackets that mount to the heads. One thing that you should plan on is to graft a big block seal to your timing chain cover with all the strain on the snout turning the blower you will want the extra beef, also broach cut the snout and damper for a tool steel woodrift key opposite the stocker and use both also you want a good aftermarket damper. There is a lot going on out there at the front of the motor and you want the best damper you can aford to make it live.
I agree with gearhead on the cost, heck a pair on holly's can easily go 1500.00 but if you learn to modify them your self you could do it much cheaper, There are other corners you can cut but my advice is to read every thing you can first about blower set up and tuning. If you have any questions just ask, if I don't know I'll try to find someone who does.
very best regards
Chip