Blue smoke

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hope I'm not repeating myself here. When I got my 409 back from the machine shop, it was using a quart of oil about every 200 miles. Maybe even less miles. Both tailpipes contained a thin layer of black oil. People who followed me, said there was some smoking, not sure of the color, when they were behind me. The engine ran well but never broke in. With the help of some here, I figured out it had to be the valve guides. Took the heads off and back to the machine shop. They put in new valve guides and the problem cleared up. Never used a drop of oil again. The pipes stayed wet for the longest time though. Guess they had to burn the oil out. This really pissed me off. It was totally unnecessary. I told the machinist there was no budget so just fix everything correctly. Do it once, do it right. Whatever needs attention, take care of it. Anyhow, all behind me now, Carmine.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
So came home from work and decided to pull carbs uh have standing oil in bottom of manifold? And down all intake ports looks like some one poured oil so the manifold will come off any ideas ? I did see it has bronze guides

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That sounds like the PCV is sucking oil, if it was the intake gasket, you wouldn't have oil under the carburetors.
Any chance you could post some pictures of how you have your PCV and crankcase breather set up?

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Well previous owner had it hooked up to oil fill neck to front carb vacuum , solid oil fill cap. I hooked up to rear of manifold where draft tube was to front carb vacuum with a breather cap will try to figure picture thing out

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Take the PCV out of the rear of the intake and look in there with the bore scope. You should NOT see any push rods looking through that hole.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Ok thanks it's quite a job to get that rubber grommet in that hole with manifold on not much room back there but one step at a time

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Ok thanks so quick question if the previous owner had that pcv set up that way for the 10 k miles he put on rebuild would that account for that amount of oil ? When I look down oil fil I can see large opening at front of block

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not sure this is much help to you, but on my 409 block, I eliminated the road draft tube. I bought a kit to do this from Show Cars and it seems to work just fine. Installed according to the instructions. I also have a push on, vented oil breather cap in the filler tube, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm wondering if there's a baffle under that intake as there should be.Run the PCV off the oil filler tube with a sealed cap,vent the rear tube[formally road draft port] to the air cleaner housing inside the filter element.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been running the pcv valve in a rubber cap on the oil fill tube for a while. The only issue I had was the crankcase vent hole in the Edelbrock intake manifold, used to push oil into the air cleaner housing until I made a small baffled tube. Now with the long tube to the Cowl induction air cleaner, it does push any oil into the air cleaner housing.20190817_135056.jpg

Victorniner

Well Known Member
ok am going to pull rubber gromet on rear draft tube tonite to see if theres a baffle in there if i,m reading right i should then run that tube to air cleaner and install pcv back to front fill tube with sealed cap?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You can have the PCV at the rear of the intake or the oil fill tube, now if the baffle is not attached to the bottom of the intake the PCV in the rear of the intake will suck oil.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
but it wont suck oil from fill tube area ? when i got car i checked the pcv valve and it was full of oil and was connected to oil fill tube