Blue smoke

Victorniner

Well Known Member
So I need to know where to look next. I,ve done compression check and results were cylinder 1-155 3-160 5-170 7-167 2-165 4-155 6-163 8-160 this was motor warm all plugs out throttle wide open. Leak down results 100 psi primary 1-96 3-96 5-96 7-97 2-97 4-96 6-96 8-98 if I put my ear to oil fill I could hear faint air on 5,4,and 6 engine seams really tight btw this is a 62 409 QB engine maybe valve seals? Thanks

427John

Well Known Member
is it blue smoke all the time or just certain conditions?
P.S. compression check and leakdown will tell you how well the compression rings are sealing but won't tell you how well the oil control ring is doing its job.

427John

Well Known Member
Having the back story helps a lot ,if this is a new rebuild you have to consider the possibility of the assembler lining up the gaps of the rings,if its been running for years and suddenly or gradually developed this can eliminate the 1 possibility but opens the door for other possibilities.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
And there should be vacuum correct? The way the pcv was set up before was the road draft tube hole was plugged and they had pcv from fill tube to carb with a rubber cap on top of fill tube when I took pcv valve off it was full of oil? So I changed to a breather cap and the pcv from road draft tube to carb

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Sorry must not be as intelligent as you yes I read the post so what am I missing ? I just pulled pcv valve and it was full of oil? So I think I,m narrowing it down sorry if I ask to many questions I guess I can find a diffrent site to help thanks