Boat Motors(or anchors?)

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Just wondering, what 409's did they usually put in boats? There was a guy a while back trying to sell a boat with twin 409's in a local paper(must have been a big boat), said the boat needed some work but both the engines ran OK. Can't recall what he was asking for it. Were these desirable engines or were they just truck motors?

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think that those engines ran clockwise and counter clockwise when used side bye side. I have seen ford engines in boats and they where just car engines nothing differant. I dont think they where truck engines. John

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Yea, the boats I've seen with automotive engines were pretty much the same way. If it had only one, it was usually clockwise, but if it had two then one of them was counter-clockwise to keep the torque from "rocking the boat" LOL. I remember working on a boat with twin Chevy sixes in it, and one of them ran backwards. By the way, gearhead, you mentioned distributors. I've heard of people putting common HEI dist's in the W engines, is this true and how would you go about it? Is there an adapter, and if so where do you get one? Something I can make? My 409 still has the governed dist with no vacuum advance and I really like the old HEI units. Thanks.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
adapter

They are a machined sleeve with correct oiling holes, etc. You can find them through some of the venders on the links page. There are several options for distributors. I've used a Pertronix electronic conversion with success although others have had trouble with them. Also Dave's small body HEI converts points type distributors to electronic with readily available replacement parts. Of course it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want in a distrbutor. Good luck, NUT

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info Nut, much appreciated. Another question, please. It seems like I read an old post(here I think) about someone having problems with detonation on a W engine with HEI, and they told him it was too much advance. Do you think that would be a problem on mine? Being as I'm leaving the truck heads and pistons, I would hope it would be OK with the lower compression. I'm not looking for a racing engine, so the HEI would be great if I could make one work, low buck and low maintenance.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sorry, I can't answer that. :dunno I'm sure someone here can though. I'm thinking I will have Dave convert one for me sometime, Sounds like the best of all worlds and don't think it is terribly expensive either. Here's a link to his site in case you want to check it out. NUT

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Thanks again, Nut. I checked out the link, pretty neat setup, especially for a vehicle with not much room or someone trying to keep a stock look. Neither is an issue for me, since I'd like to put the motor in my '64 stepside. I know the pickups didn't come with W motors(although they should have), but I just think it would be a cool motor for an old truck. Even with the truck heads, I'm sure I could make a few 350's sh#t. Heck, if it pulls a pickup half as good as it moved the fire truck, with a 4 speed trans I ought to be able to smoke the tires pretty easy!

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I think there was some discussion here before about the 409 boat engines, If I remember right they were indeed truck engines. fran????????

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's my opinion that they were truck type engines also with low compression. Don't feel bad about the #333 truck heads. they are almost as good as high performance 348 heads. Also by simply swapping out your truck pistons you could boost performance also.
I'll have to say 64s are one of my favorite pickups! A good place for a 409.:brow NUT

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. I just looked around a bit for the dist adapter sleeve, looks like they run around 100.00 to 125.00, not too bad. I've got several old HEI distributors lying around so I should be able to find one that works. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

M

Mr.Jimmy

I have had a few of the 409 "boat motors". Some had 333 heads, some had 690's. Some had truck blocks, some were car style too. The classic boat shop down from me has a few of them too that still run on the water. has a 30 footer hacker tripple cockpit with twin 09's..... He buys parts every now and then from us. I rode around in it a few time...got to love that copper exhaust and cracking both motors!!! :brow

Goodwrench: Tonawanda built many marine engines for various manufacturers, both 348 and 409. The majority were based on truck engines simply because of the gas available on the water, most all "regular", and truck engines had low compression. As a 'cruiser" motor they were available in standard and opposite rotation (for twin engine installation). As far as engines with 690 heads, this would have been a high performance engine and I know they were built using aftermarket parts, I sent Walkerheaders a catalog from back then that was for people converting passenger car engines to marine use and W parts were listed. I don't know of any opposite rotation high performance 409 engines built by Tonawanda. The EP (end product) user would put on their specialized parts. Mercruiser had it's own cast aluminum W valve cover with the word Mercruiser cast into it. Mercruiser may have, like they did with the Mark IV, change the cam, Mercruiser "take out" parts for the Mark IV were commonly available. Also, Tonawanda did not ship with fuel pumps on ANY engine, these would have been specialized marine pumps in any event. I didn't work on a W assembly line but I did on small block and Mark IV. The small block marine used "police" parts, the Mark IV were 4 bolt main high performance blocks made with oval port and square port heads. The opposite rotation engines had a gear driven cam on the ones I saw. If you see an oval port Mark intake with a cast in bronze water passage it's a marine part. The also had rocker arms with an "M" cast in it. Hope this helps you.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OldTruckNut said:
Thanks guys. I just looked around a bit for the dist adapter sleeve, looks like they run around 100.00 to 125.00, not too bad. I've got several old HEI distributors lying around so I should be able to find one that works. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

If you have the stock disributor IMO it would be better to go with Daves ingnition as the price for the adaptor is almost as much as one of his convertions.
AND Dave`s will be rebuilt better then new and CURVED for your engine !!
,,,dq

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Thanks dq, yes I have the original distributor but it's the truck unit with the governor setup and no vacuum advance. The governor part could be abandoned, but I don't think there is even a provision on the housing to mount the vacuum advance. If you've never seen a truck distributor, there was one on e-bay. They're a big ugly thing. Thanks again.

counter rotating engines

hey guys about boat engines.
rotating engines in opposite directions on boats is mostly misunderstood even by some boat owners who should know better.. it has nothing to do with torque. twin screw boats will counter rotate screws for purposes of better handling. if both props are rotated inboard at the top, the boat will walk sideways in eihter direction to dock or undock. turning both the same way they will only walk to one side. turning both outboard and they wont walk at all unless you also have a bow thruster. dont know if this is useful to you, but i just left a job where boat handling was one of the primary points that deck officers were judged on .

REGARDS
DAN :scratch

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OldTruckNut, I have a 409 car distributor not sure from what engine but you are welcome to it. Let me know.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Tony, Thanks for the offer. I'm still not sure what I'm going to put in it, but your offer is much appreciated and I will keep it in mind. I'm re-doing an old house so unfortunatley my old trucks are back-burner for right now. By the way, I see you used "Boat Anchor Racing" in your signature, and I'm sure you're just joking like I was when I titled this thread. I hope no one took it the wrong way. I've heard the W motors, especially the truck engines, referred to as "only being good for boat anchors" before, but I've never felt that way. I know my truck 409 may not be as desireable as a car engine, but I like it just the same. It'll be plenty for what I want, just a fun toy on a low budget. Thanks again for your generous offer.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Old TruckNut, I don't know if the name of our race team offends anyone but people have teased us about our 409s being boat anchors since we bought our 62 in 1971. I even used to put a sign in the back window saying "YOU HAVE JUST BEEN BEAT BY A BOAT ANCHOR". Durning the 70s a lot of people read that sign! My wife and I are very proud of our cars and our race team.

The distributor is here if and when you need it.