BobsYourUncle joining the group and saying hi to all

BobsYourUncle

Hello everyone;

I just stumbled across this forum last night while looking for info on my 348 Tri-Power. Wish I had found it years ago, but here I am now.

For years, decades, my dream car has been a 58 Impala ragtop. I found a few over the years but the price was prohibitive, so the search continued. Wasn't looking for a totally cherry frame off resto, but rather a reasonable project car that wasn't rusted into oblivion.

I belonged to a couple car clubs, first NIA. (National Impala Association) 37 years ago I attended a convention in Spearfish SD with my 64 Impala 2Dr Htp. Great times. That same 64 was my wedding car when I got married in 1980. It was only a 283 car, not a 409 like I wanted.
When NIA fell apart, I joined Late Great Chevys and continued my quest for a 58 convertible. I also belonged to the local chapter of Late Great in Vancouver BC. As the years ticked by I never gave up my dream of owning a 58 with a 348 tri-power. I had pictures all over my garage, models made, die casts purchased and more. A decoration on the wall outside my office was a 58 hubcap! Yeah, addicted!

One day I was talking to a pro rodder buddy of mine, also a member of Late Great. He said he has a 58 348 in pieces. My heart skipped a beat, a 348? Yeah, with 3 deuces for it too. Long story short, I started feeding him cash and he started building my 348. Everything in it is all new or rebuilt. He started with the bare block, did the crank, pistons, cam and on and on until we had a completely rebuilt with all new parts, better than factory new 348. He used 100% all correct casting numbers on everything for 58. Even the triple carbs are a correct matching set right down to the linkage. Brand new crossover pipe, all the brackets, everything is done and detailed to be as new. It is complete except air cleaner (darn), starter and generator. After many thousands of dollars invested, I brought my nice shiny chevy orange baby home and put it on my engine cart. I covered it up with an old bedspread to keep it clean and rolled it under my workbench in my shop. That was about 20 years ago or so, I cannot remember for sure.

I kept looking for my convertible to restore and put the engine into, but never did find the right car. My hopes were fading and I was not getting any younger. Darn...

Searching searching searching, and one day I found a 58 sport coupe for sale, needs total resto. So I bought it sight unseen. I'll put my 348 in there. Included in the price was delivery. The car showed up one day on a trailer, and my excitement quickly turned to nausea. This car was a complete and total basket case, rusted from one end to the other. I hung my head and wanted to cry. A true Fred Flinstonemobile, the floorboards were gone, big gaping holes everywhere. There was no trunk left in it. and so on... I pushed it into my driveway and blocked a tire so it wouldn't run away. At least it had 4 inflated tires on it. The story was this old heap was dragged out of a field somewhere around Seattle, where it had been sitting since the 60's. License plate tag said 66. Bitter disappointment was all I felt.

I poked around with it off and on a few times, actually got the old 283 running, with a jug of gas and a hose by the windshield because the gas tank had fallen out, and took it for one drive down the street and back. OK, a little pleasure... After a few years I sold it for less than I paid for it.

Busy with life, raising a family of 4 kids, I never did get my 58 convertible. But I still have that beautiful 348 Tri-Power in my garage!

Another long story, sum it up with divorce and lost everything and moved to Calgary Alberta to start over. Now I'm 66 and my hopes of ever owning my dream car are all but gone. Guess I may as well sell the engine to someone who will appreciate it.

So, that's my introduction and story here!

IMG_2263_1.JPGIMG_2262_1.JPG

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yeah divorce can mess a guy up but your 348 will fit into several year chevys, maybe not your dream ride but still great and this site you've found is the best place to be! I too am 66 and plan on many more years wringing my W out, oh yeah my first ride was a 58 Belair sport coupe. :hug

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Uncle Bob.......sorry to hear your life story but......look at it this way.......you can only GO UP!!!!!!! Persevere and you just might find the convertible of your dreams. Never know what may happen!!!! Hanging around with us should help you!!!! Maybe start a Go Fund Me page!!!!! Maybe a lottery ticket!!!!
Anyway....just keep us posted.

BobsYourUncle

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!

Glad I'm not 106 like Phil, whew! :D or 110.....

And yeah, my ex doesn't know a thing about big orange lumps of steel! Good thing or she would have wanted that too. Oh, that old thing? Spare Duramax in case I break my truck..... not worth much, maybe 5 cents a pound......

Hard to imagine where I'd put a 58 that's bigger than the garage in the tiny townhouse I'm now in.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry to hear ........ I don’t know why people always say these things.... to make other people feel better about dumb shit ........but you’re not alone........ been there, done that........... ain’t giving up.........I still don’t know why people say these things...... I don’t feel any better....... and I’m sure you don’t......... but I don’t believe you should give up on your dream ........ if you live till you’re 96 that’s 30 more years .......!!!!!!

Oh and welcome to the site .........

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Put that damn engine into another cool car and make new memories. Or give it to me and ill put it to something cool. My three ex wives each cleaned me out. It made it easier to move with less stuff :crazy
:lmao:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2...... I like your attitude !!!!!!!