Body Mount Bolt Trouble!

OSTUNNER

Looking for a little advice before i start cutting away. Im at the point where im going to be taking the body off the frame, but after many days an failed attempts at removing the 4 rear body mount bolts im at a loss. I drilled the holes above each nut, sprayed PB blast an let soak. With no luck now all four are spinning freely. My question is, would the next best option be to cut holes above each nut to allow access? Also giving me access to install new nuts an tac them in while installing the new body mount hardware?

Thanks for any advice guys.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That is what I had to do. Used a small hole saw and drill. Everything work out great.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Like Wayne said, a hole saw would work great. Just have to fabricate a small cover piece to weld back in, once the nuts are replaced.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would say either a hole saw or cut a square with a cut off wheel, which ever shape is going to be easiest to repair. The only reason I wouldn't do the hole saw is, if you already have a hole drilled, you'll have no place for the center bit to help hold the saw steady. Unless the center bit is long enough to go into the existing bolt, but without a picture, I can't tell what you might run into.

OSTUNNER

Perfect, so sounds like im on the right path. Thanks guys.

One more thing, when installing the new hardware, are you just tightening the nut good with some locktite or are you actaully throwing a spot weld on the nut to body?

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
The nut needs to be kept from rotating if you plan on tightening the body mount without leaving the floor open. Loctite is not going to do anything.
If it were me, I would look at each mount and the ones with a fixed nut, I would weld the nut back in place.
In those cases with a cage nut (loose nut inside metal bracket) I would leave the nut loose.
Not sure if new weld nuts and cage nuts are available as replacements. They are commonly used in current production but not sure if easily available in the correct sizes in the aftermarket. If so use them. If not, I would clean up the old ones and reuse them. The cage may need to be straightened and rewelded or fabricated.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the cage nut link below from Show Cars. These are like the originals to not allow the nut to rotate/turn.
The original nuts need to stay loose to allow for adjustment when installing the rubber mounts. Do not weld the nut in place. This is after my experience in 5 frame off restorations and having to replace the original nuts inside the floor panels.
Paul

http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5441

OSTUNNER

Makes complete sense 1961bubbleboy . And Pvs409 thank you for the link those cage nuts are perfect! This will save me time and a headache