Body mounts

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm just thinking about it and will probably never do it, but is it possible to replace the body mounts on my '62 without removing the body?? Can they all be loosened and the body lifted enough to insert new rubber mounts?? Loosening the bolt is another question. I don't know how free they might be. If I break it off then I have a serious problem. I could use torches to heat it up but then rubber mount will start on fire; I think. Just curious as to the approach to this. Thanks, Carmine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I separated the body from my frame, one bolt was already rusted through and broken and three more broke with very little pressure. Time, heat, WD-40, and patience will be your friends regarding the bolts.

Without those, your other friends will be screw extractors, heat, WD-40, and patience. Because the hard way is replacing the nuts which are embedded in the body. I'm sure there is a better term, but I'm at a loss for it at the moment, possibly longer.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Because the hard way is replacing the nuts which are embedded in the body. I'm sure there is a better term, but I'm at a loss for it at the moment, possibly longer.
The nuts are cage nuts, once the bolt rust to the nut the nut turns and breaks the cage.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just an idea. I don't think I'll ever do it. I presently have the car on the lift, so maybe I'll see how tight these bolts might be. The first serious resistance, and I'll be stopping. This car spent its entire life in Alabama and was undercoated. Original panels. No rust. I rebuilt everything from the rear to the front and never came across a bolt I couldn't get undone with just wrenches. Should be interesting, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just a note Carmine. I have taken body mount bolts out of several very rusted 62-64 Chevys and the only ones that were seized were the ones in the rear of the rear wheel wells. But only when the boxed mount itself was just about completely gone. If your car isn't rusted up, I don't think you will have a problem. Cross your fingers!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I tried one on the passenger side rear because it was easy to get at. Put the socket on it and heard a slight squeal. That was enough for me. There is no way in hell I'm getting involved with that project. I know exactly what would happen. One bolt would break off and I'd have numerous sleepless nights until it was fixed. No thanks. Let the next owner worry about it, Carmine.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Let the captured nut soak with penetrating fluid,hit them several times before trying again......if you can find a product called Kroil use it.

Last edited: