Body off resto

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Boy I ask a lot of questions :takethat
I'm going to hopefully pull the body on my 58 Chev cause it need major floor and trunk work and quarter, rocker, fender work plus it'll make it easier to mount the 348 nice and clean.
Any body got any tips on the best way to cradle the body or factory points on the body to hold it.
I work at a steel shop so I could easily build a cradle (They're expensive to buy).

One other thing, my brother is looking for a heat riser spring (you know the one on the exhaust mani right opposite the heat riser valve)
For a 54 Chev 235
Anybody know if they are avail or can it be swaped for something else
Thanks John & Bro

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can just use the factory mounting points at the firewall and very back of the car. The car won't sag as long as you don't cut away too much away at once. The bodies are fairly rigid even without the frame. But if your rockers are badly rusted and you remove the entire floor,,, better use some bracing. Using a cradle (or a rotisserie's even better) is a nice way to go. It's much easier to work on the body when it's up higher and you'll end up doing a better job.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
You can probably get the spring from Ralph Roberts at www.56chevy.com

Most of my tri five buds, buy their parts from him. Very good inventory and good prices. I even got him to order the new floors for my 62 at a great price and have them shipped vendor direct to me.

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks I'm also getting floor braces for my 58 from Ralph's
But he had no line on the spring
Are the any plans for a rotisere out there it would be nice

Yeh thanks for the tip I'll make sure that I don't remove too much of the body integrity a one time
John

Auto City Classic Will Have All The Sheet Metal For Your Car And Might Possibly Have The Spring You Are Looking For.