Borg Warner T10

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Now that my 409 is in the machine shop, I have been staring at my Borg Warner T10 transmission on the garage floor. I'm wondering if I need to do anything with it. It was working perfectly when it was in the car. I noticed that Show Cars sells a seal kit. Does anyone in the 348/409 group have a recommendation? Perhaps I should stick to the old principle "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Dan Fults

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would replace seals just because they will never be easier to access than they are right now.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for recommending Kajun Jon. His website indicates that he's an expert on classic Chevy gear boxes.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
On the subject of the Borg Warner T-10 tranny's, how "loose" were these gear shifts on the 4-speed cars? I had my tranny re-built and it shifts well, but it seems "loose" to me.

Just curious.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Eric,the "looseness" you are refering to is ,most likely,the shifter assembly,not the transmission unit.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
if you are comparing to a tko or similar tranny, then it is loose. jim

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
On the subject of the Borg Warner T-10 tranny's, how "loose" were these gear shifts on the 4-speed cars? I had my tranny re-built and it shifts well, but it seems "loose" to me.

Just curious.
I also have one of these old original shifters in my 62 Belair it is very loose and you have to be very careful when speed shifting this old thing!! a Hurst shifter with the repop handle is the way to go

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I also have one of these old original shifters in my 62 Belair it is very loose and you have to be very careful when speed shifting this old thing!! a Hurst shifter with the repop handle is the way to go

When you get ready to replace that old original loose and mushy shifter, please let me know, I love'm!!!!

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for recommending Kajun Jon Bergeron, an expert on muscle car transmissions. I sent my Borg Warner T10 to him in Whitney, TX for a rebuild and the tranny returned home today. It is a thing of beauty. His knowledge of these gear boxes is impressive and he is a pleasure to do business with.
Dan Fults