Brake lights

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Damn, that's a lot of money. Personally, I would try to clean and adjust the originals first. If you can get them to fit in tight with a clean connection they will probably work fine.

Thanx Don. I will definitely look into those. I agree Bob. That is a lot of money. The ones I bought before are plastic and cost I believe $4.00 each. They work when they want to. I know AAW make good products. It will be worth it to me if I get some quality sockets that work all the time and I don't have to fool with them. Besides, it will free up some time for me to fix my gas sending unit :laughing:laughing:laughing, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
:jacked

While were on this subject, I seem to have trouble with headlights as well. Some come on dim or don't come on at all until you wiggle the plug on the back, probably from lack of use I've tried cleaning the terminals on some but usually doesn't last.

I hardly ever use my head lights but would love to find a good fix for this too.
You can buy just the plug in connector separate also Bob!!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine,,,,, you need 4 double wire socket's .....AAW #18995 @ $12.00 each,for brake and tail light's. You need 2 AAW #35900 single wire socket's for the back up light's,@$12.00 each. Of course you know you will have to solder those in , which is not hard to do. These are AAW part number's . Make sure you specify 1962 Impala, of three supply place's summit is cheaper. If you google AAW and these part number 's it will take you to their website.

I looked at these at Summit. $10.20 each. AAW also got back to me and said to use part 18995 for brake and taillights, as you suggested. This would be for a '62 Chevy but I think they also fit '61-'67 Chevy.
Don, I have ask: what is it that I have to solder?? I don't think I understand that. I thought connectors with heat shrink tubing would do. Thanks, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I like to solder the wire's instead of using the pinch down butt connector's.You can slide on the shring tubing on before soldering ,make's a secure connection .If you butt connect something most likely you will be able to pull them apart . If you solder them you won 't be able to pull those apart ,and no chance of corrosion on those connection's
You have to connect the socket wire's to your car harness.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like to solder the wire's instead of using the pinch down butt connector's.You can slide on the shring tubing on before soldering ,make's a secure connection .If you butt connect something most likely you will be able to pull them apart . If you solder them you won 't be able to pull those apart ,and no chance of corrosion on those connection's
You have to connect the socket wire's to your car harness.
OK. Got it. Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I posted a thread in another section about going to a large cruise in last night, and I wanted to take my '62. The last time I had it out and was backing it into the garage, my wife tells me I have no brake lights on the passenger side. Driver side is fine. I procrastinated and never got around to fixing it, so last night I decided not to take it. Put it on my list of things to do today. After fooling with the fan belt, moved onto the lights. I really fought doing this because they are a big PITA. So, tried all the lights and unbelievably, they all work, including the brake lights, except the right front parking light. Not sure why they are working, but I don't want to question a good thing. Honestly, I really hate these lights. There are too many of them and they are very sensitive. Slamming the trunk closed probably disconnected them again. I really do think that they don't ground very well. I've replaced 2 and they were plastic with two points of contact for grounding. I found some AC Delco metal sockets and ordered some of them. I think I'll replace all the sockets and see what happens.
Should mention this also. Previously, I had to rig up something to keep the brake pedal depressed so that I could see what was going on at the rear. Today, it occurred to me to take the 2 wire ends off the brake switch and use a jumper wire between them. Worked perfectly. Geez, how simple was that. Sometimes, I needlessly complicate things for myself, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Some parts I previously ordered from Rock Auto, started trickling in. Today, I got taillight sockets. They are made by AC Delco via Mexico and are all metal. These should be a treat. Instead of the plastic ones with 2 brass clips hoping to ground out, these being all metal will definitely increase the chances for good grounding. Wish I had ordered more just to have them, Carmine.