Broke a valve spring

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The #3 exhaust valve spring in the 348 in the SDL sprang it's last sproing last night on the way home from the BTT50's. :cry The spring is shot (obviously), rocker cracked & dented at the valve stem end, and the pushrod is bent. However, the valve seems to be able to stroke up and down and spin in the guide without any sticking. What's the likelyhood of the valve still being useable, and the cylinder wall and piston not being buggered up as well?

The engine was built and running in the car when we purchased it, so I don't know exactly what specs it has. My guess is that it's probably spec'd as a 280 hp 3x2 engine, but that's just a WAG based on the 379 head casting number it has (Dec '58 date coded).

If I can get this back together and running without pulling the head, what were the spring pressures and installed heights used in the '59 engines? That is if can find a single spring that's useable somewhere. I'd really rather not have to pull the engine apart if it can be avoided. :dunno

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, Seems like a simple compression check on that cyl. would let you know if the valve is bent. I think those springs are common small block. Im not sure, but surely other members will know. Good luck.....

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike, You don't want to find one spring to replace it. You want to replace ALL of them. If the one spring broke, the others are probably not far behind. You should be able to find an inexpensive set of sbc springs. Since it's a mild motor you could probably just use a set of what's advertised as "Z/28" springs.