Broken Grease Zerk - How to Remove

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have grease zerk which looks like it was forcibly removed by road debris. It is broken below the opening of the hole. The piece is cast aluminum.
Any special tricks to not make the problem worse than it already is?

In the future, I plan on only having the zerk in place for lubing and replacing it with a set screw to prevent problem from repeating.

I'll get a picture posted later today.

Junky

Well Known Member
A small easy out should remove it, if it is aluminum into steel. I have some flat faced Snap On easy outs that work great. Just don't break the easy out off in the fitting. Another way is to use a slow speed drill that will reduce the size, and then use a small dental pick to turn it out. Patience is the important thing, and usually they will come out easy if you work it slowly. You might even be able to tap a small screwdriver into the aluminum and unscrew it that way.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I found using torx bitts for easy outs worth great. I find the size that I can drive in so as the torx bitt splines itself into the hole, then use a ratchet (gingerly) to remove. I would put a little heat on the aluminum first as it would probably loosen it up by expanding before the zero heats up.