Bronze of Composite Distributor Gear

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went to do some timing adjusting and I could feel through the distributor that there was a problem, so I yanked it.I need to replace my distributor gear. I was thinking of going with a Composite from Comp Cams instead of the Bronze gear I have now. Any opinions which to use, and why you prefer one or the other. The Bronze gear lasted about 2k. I hear that is about right, however I tend to drive a lot and want a little more durability if I can. I will also check for binding/shimming issues. I also thought in the past I had seen someone mention trying to get a late model GM roller distributor gear? Any info on that ?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What is wrong the stock gm gears that last way more than 2k miles? I have never had a stocker wear out! Am I missing something hear or Will the bronze gear make me go faster to the next stop light? Can't be more accurate timing because they wear out and I know I wouldn't want a bunch of bronze mental shavings floating around in either of my 409's so what's the bonus? Only thing I can think of is maybe they come on all new distributors? The pay off isn't worth it to me if it's going to destroy a motor.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The gear they're talking about is for engines that have been fitted with a roller cam.If you're running a flat tappet cam,the stocker's all you need.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
What is wrong the stock gm gears that last way more than 2k miles? I have never had a stocker wear out! Am I missing something hear or Will the bronze gear make me go faster to the next stop light? Can't be more accurate timing because they wear out and I know I wouldn't want a bunch of bronze mental shavings floating around in either of my 409's so what's the bonus? Only thing I can think of is maybe they come on all new distributors? The pay off isn't worth it to me if it's going to destroy a motor.
There is also a wear issue when running the stock steel dist gear on the modern steel roller cam blanks. Apparently they will destroy each other. When ordering a new cam, you can order an optional cast iron gear pressed on for about $100 extra. That way you can use the stock dist gear forever. The original flat tappet cams were ground on cast iron blanks with a cast gear. Until several years ago, the only option was to use the bronze gear and put up with the wear and replace issue.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I am running the Lunati gear on my Crower solid roller. Supposedly it will work and live on any cam blank. So far, so good.

I couldn't see the wear and bronze trash from the bronze gears (although I guess the Ampco material is pretty good) and I had not heard anything encouraging on the plastic ones either.

So, as usual, I was perplexed.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was leaning towards the Composite, however I think the Everwear may be in my future. I will verify what steel they used in my Comp Cam Roller , however based on the copper in between the lobes I think it is 8620, not that matters as the Everwear seems to be compatible with all the billet steel cams. Thanks for all your input, and thank you Leo.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My shaft size for the 348/409 dist gear was .490, pretty sure only the newer dist used the .500 shaft.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Leo. I have a billet Pertronix distributor. The shaft is .500. I just ordered the Everwear gear, and a shim from Show Cars.