Bubble window crank issues

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Ok even thought the sheet metal on my '61 is PONTIAC, is really a Impala underneath. I have some questions:

1. My rear pass side seems to go down fine and is free doing so, yet when I roll it back up, about 2 inches from the top, the crank starts "skipping" and you can feel it pushing the crank away from the mechanism? Also even pulling the window with my hand I can barely close it while cranking and pulling.

2. The other rear window just seems stiff. Been lubricating it yet seems to have some tight spots, nothing seems to help?

Any ideas that might help a guy out, or a pair of good working used mechanisms for a bubble-top for sale???

Thanks John

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have they ever been out- the grease inside the cranking mechanisms get old and the rollers get worn. Is your window crank handle on the skipping one stripped, does it seem loose?

Don

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Window crank doesn't appear to be skipping. And it's only doing it about 2 inches from closed going up??

Will try and get the old grease out and re grease them to see if that helps.

Thanks, John

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
OK. I was looking, at the picture in your avatar. :dunnoAfter cleaning and lubing, a window track adjustment could solve your problem. An assembly manual, will make that easier.:clap