Bucket seats available in which cars for the year 1962?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm guessing that all Impala/SS Hard top 2dr and Conv had buckets available. What about the 2dr Biscayne/Belair cars? Was pondering the use in a 2dr sedan I'm going to be building on.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
At one of our West Coast shootouts a guy with a beautiful 62 BelAir sports coupe with SS interior stopped by, that SS interior changed the entire look of the BelAir, looked much better IMO

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know about Chevys but in '62 just about any Pontiac B body car could be special ordered with buckets. There is at least one '62 Catalina 421 Super Duty that came with the standard cloth interior but bucket seats, and two 4 speed Catalina station wagons that I know of came with buckets. And a number of '62 Bonnevilles came with buckets. In some cases the only item on the options line on the firewall data plate said "Bucket Seat".
I have a '62 Pontiac Colors and Fabrics book and in the Factory Installed Options list on page 47 it shows bucket seats as an option on Catalina, Star Chief, and Bonneville Convertible with them being standard on Grand Prix. Does anyone have a '62 Chevy Colors and Fabrics book?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know about Chevys but in '62 just about any Pontiac B body car could be special ordered with buckets. There is at least one '62 Catalina 421 Super Duty that came with the standard cloth interior but bucket seats, and two 4 speed Catalina station wagons that I know of came with buckets. And a number of '62 Bonnevilles came with buckets. In some cases the only item on the options line on the firewall data plate said "Bucket Seat".
I have a '62 Pontiac Colors and Fabrics book and in the Factory Installed Options list on page 47 it shows bucket seats as an option on Catalina, Star Chief, and Bonneville Convertible with them being standard on Grand Prix. Does anyone have a '62 Chevy Colors and Fabrics book?
I was wondering if GM may have given the actual racers in 1962 (to race only) a bucket seat option. Doesn't seem like it and out of the thousands of vintage 1958-1964 Images I have, I don't think there is one 2dr sedan with buckets in it unless modified to do so. Even Rex White had a bucket seat in his 1961 Impala Conv he raced but that wasn't factory because the 1961 Impala Conv didn't get buckets until 1962 Impala came along if memory serves me right.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I've checked the factory production numbers for 1962 and matched the total number of 1962 Super Sports (RPO 240 = 99,311) with the production numbers of all the trim codes for each of the different colors for the bucket seats fitted to SS sport coupe and convertible and it amounted to the exact same amount = 99,311, which confirms that no bucket seats were factory fitted to anything other than SS sport coupe or convertible in 1962.

I haven't recorded the cowl tags of any Pontiacs with optional bucket seats, but I have recorded the cowl tags of a couple of Buicks, a 61 and a 62, with optional buckets because they are also stamped on the ACC line of the cowl tags. See photos.

If you're wondering why I also collect Buick tags, it's only because the Flint #1 Fisher body plant (cowl tag Body code FB) was a Buick plant but also produced wagon bodies for Chevrolet from at least 1959 to 1962 and these cowl tags used Buick ACC codes for the options, which means I had to try and decode these as well because I've recorded 13 Chevrolet wagons that were built at Flint #1 and their ACC codes are identical to the Buick codes for the same option at the same plant. This is another reason why the cowl tag ACC codes for 1959 - 62 Chevys have been so hard to figure out.

BK 335.jpg

BK 132.jpg

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've checked the factory production numbers for 1962 and matched the total number of 1962 Super Sports (RPO 240 = 99,311) with the production numbers of all the trim codes for each of the different colors for the bucket seats fitted to SS sport coupe and convertible and it amounted to the exact same amount = 99,311, which confirms that no bucket seats were factory fitted to anything other than SS sport coupe or convertible in 1962.

I haven't recorded the cowl tags of any Pontiacs with optional bucket seats, but I have recorded the cowl tags of a couple of Buicks, a 61 and a 62, with optional buckets because they are also stamped on the ACC line of the cowl tags. See photos.

If you're wondering why I also collect Buick tags, it's only because the Flint #1 Fisher body plant (cowl tag Body code FB) also produced wagon bodies for Chevrolet from at least 1959 to 1962 and these cowl tags used Buick ACC codes for the options, which means I had to try and decode these as well because I've recorded 13 Chevrolet wagons that were built at Flint #1 and their ACC codes are identical to the Buick codes for the same option. This is another reason why the cowl tag ACC codes for 1959 - 62 Chevys have been so hard to figure out.

View attachment 132240

View attachment 132241
There are some really amazing people on this forum doing some wild stuff. Keep it up Carl.