Bucket T poor performance

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
283 bored to 301. CR?

old age must be getting it grips early. I just can susced on this. changed to points add 4 hole spacers and put in 3.5 power valves. got worse. I gave up. went back to it and it fired right up. sounds good, then when down hill and died. sy nex i guess i'll try another coil....

425/409ER

Well Known Member
If these 600's are on a Tunnel ram get rid of them and put 2 Eddy 1405's on there. The Eddys have better idle circuits and are much easier to tune on those tall intakes. The 1st t-ram I had was one with 2 450 Holley's, while the car ran real well with them the adjusting the idle always was a problem. The 2nd setup I had was a Weiand Hi-ram with 2 1405's and the car ran great and was very easy to tune. VS carbs can be a pain sometimes as the engine takes what it needs, best thing is to disconnect the sec pods and take the car out to drive it, if it drives better than the sec side is the problem, if not then it needs some pri side work.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
283 bored to 301. CR?

old age must be getting it grips early. I just can susced on this. changed to points add 4 hole spacers and put in 3.5 power valves. got worse. I gave up. went back to it and it fired right up. sounds good, then when down hill and died. sy nex i guess i'll try another coil....

Why did you change the power valve? What is the vacuum on the engine at idle? Preferably the idle will be low as possible to get a good reading. Then with a reasonable vacuum you can estimate the power valve ( cut it in half to start, 10 inches of vacuum at idle, 5.0 PV ) Hopefully not for idle quality. The idle circuit is not affected by the power valve. At 1600 rpm you are out of idle though, so maybe now the PV will affect, but that is not the idle circuit.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Start from the beginning...set float levels, check fuel pressure, check for vacumn leaks, check secondaries for air passing at idle, etc
I do that every time I change something:mad4..... cause I don't trust myself any more and I can't tell what i screwed up:facepalm:confused:bang:gaah
If these 600's are on a Tunnel ram get rid of them and put 2 Eddy 1405's on there. The Eddys have better idle circuits and are much easier to tune on those tall intakes. The 1st t-ram I had was one with 2 450 Holley's, while the car ran real well with them the adjusting the idle always was a problem. The 2nd setup I had was a Weiand Hi-ram with 2 1405's and the car ran great and was very easy to tune. VS carbs can be a pain sometimes as the engine takes what it needs, best thing is to disconnect the sec pods and take the car out to drive it, if it drives better than the sec side is the problem, if not then it needs some pri side work.
yes they are.:irk and they are to big:sorry2 I would change them but thats what I got. But I have a connection to work out a deal for a pair of 390 holleys.:dunno already have the secondaries wire shut.:pout

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
best vacuum i have gotten is 8in. no i don't know what the cam is.... to big i suspect. also suspect CR is low. 140psi CCR

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You're gong to need to change that cam to something much smaller.Something around 218@.050 will give that 301 a nice lope and still have some bottom end.The higher cylinder pressure and engine vacuum will let you tune that cross ram for street use a lot easier.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That "Lunatic" cam would be a good choice.It's right there with the Comp Extreme Energy 262.If you go to single carb.,the Performer EPS,or one of the cheaper off shore clones would be a good choice.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Take the power valves out and plug them, jet the carbs up about 6-8 jet sizes and see how it runs.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I got it running a few weeks ago. Did a tare down and inspect. Changed cam, rings, lifters and heads...... intake and single carb:sorry2:pout
cam was a thunder stick 310/ .510. CR was about 8.5. Now Lunatti bare bones from above and CR close to 10.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don, I put on 64 cc 291. early ones with the gasket plug. These keep with the vintage vib. :cool: