Buckets vs. Bench

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever weighed the seats before?
Original bench seat and the '62-65 bucket seats?
I installed buckets in my Bel Air shortly after getting it. Although not correct, I have always liked the way they look. I'd never really thought about whether a pair of them are heavier or not.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just a guess, but I would think the buckets weigh around 40 to 45 pounds each. I know I took them out and installed "lightweight" plastic racing seats once. They were very nice with black/red vinyl covers to match, but not comfortable to me. They weighed about 25 pounds each with the brackets and covers. I took them out and traded them with a friend and went back to my SS buckets. I figured that 40 pounds or so savings (combined) wasn't worth being uncomfortable. Plus if it was a search for the very last hundredth, I could take out the passenger SS seat and be back at the weight of the 2 plastic seats. :dunno
I kinda miss the bench seat nowadays. I probably should have left it in back during my "dating years" ....... sure would have been more convenient. :cool:

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The bench seat out of a four door was lighter than a two door split seat. Ok for racing but kids would have to climb over if riding around town.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You could gut the passenger side bucket so there is just enough to keep the shape of the upholstery. Just don't sit or lean on it!