Build A Lo-Buck gear Lube Pump:

Drive em

I can't believe I went this long without building this project. I do alot of rear end work on my own cars as well as customers cars, and it is always a pain in the A$$ to get gear lube back in rear ends and trannys. I have used the store bought pumps, funnels etc. and I always seem to make a mess. I built this pump with parts and pieces that I had on hand in my shop, and I am sure that most of you all have everything to build one as well. Follow along:
I first needed a resevoir of some sort. I could have scratch built one, but I wanted to keep it simple. I settled on a cat litter bucket that was somewhat rectangular in shape with rounded corners. It holds about 3 1/2 gallons:
oilpump.jpg

I next needed a plate to mount a pump to. I used a piece of 6" wide x 1/8" steel plate. I traced the shape of the top of the bucket and cut it out:
oilpump015.jpg

I now needed a pump. It didn't take long to figure out that an old engine oil pump would do the trick. Since I have a yard full of vintage Fords, a Ford small block pump was the winner. You can also use any pump you have on hand, but the fact that the Ford uses a bolt on oil pickup tube made things alot easier. You may also choose to use a high volume pump for when you really need to fill that rear end in a hurry:
oilpump003.jpg

We now need a couple of plates that the pump will bolt to. I traced both ends of the pump on some 3/16" plate and drilled the holes for the mounting bolts and for the oil inlet and outlet:
oilpump005.jpg

You will also need a way to attach the hoses to the inlet and outlet plates. I used a couple of steel A.N. plugs that I could weld to the plates. I drilled through the plugs to make a nice fitting that an A.N. hose would attach to. I used #8 on the inlet, and #6 on the outlet. You could also tap the plates and use pipe fittings:
oilpump017.jpg

oilpump004.jpg

I next TIG welded the fittings to the plates:
oilpump002.jpg

Now, bolt the plates to the pump using gaskets to make sure there are no leaks:
oilpump014.jpg

Place the pump on the top plate and weld the pump plates on:
oilpump016.jpg

oilpump006.jpg

oilpump001.jpg

A couple of tabs welded to the top plate will hold it to the bucket:
oilpump007.jpg

A couple of 90 degree fittings and some hose finish things up:
oilpump008.jpg

The inlet is a #8- 90 degree push loc fitting:
oilpump009.jpg

The outlet is a #6-90 degree fitting:
oilpump010.jpg

I was going to make a hand crank to actuate the pump, but I tested it with my cordless drill and it worked like a charm. You will need an oil pump drive shaft off the engine your pump came off:
oilpump011.jpg

oilpump012.jpg

I poured a gallon of gear lube into the bucket, and pumped it out in about 30 seconds. I am going to attach a small screen to the inlet, and add a cover to the open end of the bucket to keep out debris, as well as something to hang the hose on:
oilpump013.jpg

Drive em

I managed to find the lid to the bucket. I also eliminated the pickup hose and used a piece of 1/2" aluminum hard line with an A.N. fitting on the end. I used a grommet where the line passes through the lid:
oilpump018.jpg

I also added a filler port so I can pour in the gear lube when it runs dry. I used a metal snap in cap that I bought at Lowes:
oilpump019.jpg

Finally, I bent up a piece of 3/8" hard line into a "J", so I can hook it into whatever I am filling. I also added another hole with a grommet so I can insert the filler hose when not in use:
oilpump020.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Wow again! I think we have an inventor/fabricator in our midst. :D

Great idea. I too hate filling those pesky rears especially while lying on the ground.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, thank you for supporting Lincoln and SKF owned company;)

Drive"em, great idea:D

Quik9r