Build date 61' Bubble ?

John Whigham

Hey guys how do I decode the info given by the VIN tag 11837S106395 and the trim tag to decode the build date...Style 61 - 1837 Body S L 967
Trim 825 Paint 953C
ACC B 1B
I do appreciate the help.

bobs409

Administrator
The main part of this website should have all you need. Click the diner pic above and follow various links.

Gonna move your post to the car forum.

John Whigham

Thanks Bob I did find some of the info but nothing on the build date for the car? I found where it was built, the original exterior color, interior color. I still couldnt figure out the Style 61 - 1837, the 967 that comes after the Body SL ? or the ACC B 1B ? But again at this point I just want to know day, month and year of manufacture

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Build date of the body will be in the upper left corner of the cowl tag. The letter will be the week and the number will be the month

John Whigham

Tommy it is blank in the upper left corner, do you know what this means?

Attachments

• Cowl Tag.jpg
    Cowl Tag.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 95

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
With a body number of 967 I would say it was built in the first couple of days of production in September of 1960.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I sent a PM with the info you were looking for but never received a response so I have no idea if you received it or not. In case you are still seaking the build date for your ar, I checked with my friend "the tall one" and your car was built on 10 2 1960.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
So how do you get from this:

cowl-tag-jpg.26811

or from the info John posted in his first post to 10 2 1960?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Verne decifered the build date from the vin. He said he had seen cowl tags with no date, they are very unusual but did happen. The worker just forgot to stamp them. The number on the cowl tag relates to the number bodies that had been built, the actual construction of the car happened later.

John Whigham

20140705_104225.jpg 20140705_104225.jpg Yeah, I'm with Dick that was my question too, how does one decipher the VIN tag # into a build date? Tommy, I do not know how to respond to a PM yet or I would have already thanked you, your friend for your help and thanks to you as well Cecil. So, this car is something else, passenger quarter goes on this week. Craziest thing passenger side trunk, the brace for package tray, attached by spot welds top of inner fender well to bottom of package tray. Heres the crazy part there wasn't one there, like there was on the drivers side and no spot weld seperation evidence of there ever being one there? enclosing some pics. Gotta line on a transmission I am also enclosing pics I believe it to be correct and am wondering what would be a fair price $ range $ for what the photos reveal - guy says gears and synchros appear to be in good shape, assuming they are it will still need a good cleaning and going through - checking , includes linkage, shifter and yoke. Just to the left of the T10 - 1C on the aluminum main case are a stamped G and then a stamped 11 and then a stamped 61, to the right of the T10 - 1C is a stamped B. The G, 11 and B all have circles around them, all but the 61 does not. Based on the stampings and build dates what can be discerned and what can you guys tell me about it... would it be correct for my car. Postman came by, thanks Phil, I will check it out tomorrow....

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 15
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_3645.JPG
    100_3645.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_3649.JPG
    100_3649.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20140705_104215.jpg
    20140705_104215.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 19

John Whigham

Here are the rest of the photos...

Attachments

• 100_3644.JPG
    100_3644.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3646.JPG
    100_3646.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_3647.JPG
    100_3647.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 9

John Whigham

Here are the rest of the photos...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
  • imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 5

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The tall one Tommy refers to, Verne, maintains a database of VINs and build dates for many years of x frames.

Don

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, buying used trans. is like buying a used engine,, buyer beware. I was given 2 super t-10s a few weeks ago. They were bought by a friend at a swap meet 15 years ago and he got tired of them being in the way. I disassembled both and found 1. broken cluster gear and first gear,,,,,,,2. broken cluster gear and 4 th gear ( main drive gear ). At some point in the future, I will buy a used cluster gear and shaft for a 2.64 low gear super t-10 and build one decent trans. The only way to find damage is to completely disassemble and inspect closely. Picture shows main case damage that occurred when first gear failed. Drag strip abuse. How many of these trans. are sold on e-bay with this type of damage? Probably many. Problem is,,, these trans. are being sold for $1,000 or more and being advertised as " good working order". Try to get some kind of assurance from the seller that he will reimburse if major damage is found.
crack003_zps652f8409.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
John,
No problem, I just wanted to make sure you got the info that you were looking for.
As Don said, Verne maintaines a data base of these cars and he so graciously takes the time to answer questions such as yours. Good luck with your restoration.

John Whigham

Thanks for that info Ronnie. Good morning Tommy, what do you think about that photo and the missing pckg tray brace ?