Build sheets

1962bisqwik

I wish Phil :-) I've figured out most of the codes by comparing cars and broadcast sheets whenever I can find them. I once documented a highly optioned 62 SS that had the original broadcast sheet and window sticker which I used to decode the broadcast sheet. I've also benefited greatly from info on other websites and from people who've given me clues to how these sheets can be broken down and decoded.

For example, the engine code box on the broadcast sheet for a car with a V8 VIN would not have a number if the car has a 283, because 283 is the base V8. If the box has a 1 that's the 1st option up from a 283, which in 62 is a 250hp 327, a 2 would be for a 300hp 327, a 3 is a 380hp 409 like yours, a 4 would be a 409/409. The codes all mean combinations of options, and a box without a code means no option. For the boxes with two options like HD Batt / HD Rad, a 1 means the the first option (HD Batt), a 2 means the second option (HD Rad) and a 3 means both options. Some boxes on the broadcast sheet like the seat equip box can have many numbers which I haven't fully decoded because Biscaynes can have air foam front seat option, SS will have bucket seats and a wagon might have split rear seat, all of which have different codes and I haven't seen enough broadcast sheets to cross reference to cars with specific options. However, I will say that broadcast sheets are easier to decode than cowl tag ACC codes because broadcast sheets are consistent, but in 61-62, all the plants did different things and used a lot of different codes for the same option.
great info! thanks again.

BelAirBub

Where did you find that build sheet? I think I see what's left of mine inside the passenger fender. Is there another place to look on our cars?20180918_201621_001.jpg20180918_201657.jpg