Build sheets

1962bisqwik

is there a section on this site that you can go to that can help decode a build sheet for these 58-65 years full size cars?

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Great build sheet, I'll take a shot at decoding it. There's a Corvette website for zone and dealer codes, but 24 - 359 didn't show up. The VIN says it's a V8 Biscayne sedan built at St Louis and the date is March 6th 1962, color is adobe beige with a fawn interior. I 'm pretty sure code 3 in the transmission box is a 4 speed, code 3 in the engine box is a 409 (380hp), 3 in the rear axle/Met brakes box is for a posi with metallic brakes, 2 in the HD Rad/HD Batt is for HD battery, 2 in the wheel covers/deluxe wheel is a 15 inch wheel, not sure on V in the tire option, pretty sure that 4 in the seat box is for air foam front seat (Biscayne only), 1 in the wiper/washer probably means washer for a single speed wiper, 2 in the radio box is possibly push button radio, 2 in the seat belt box is probably front and rear seat belts, S in the manual/speedo box has me beat???

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I wish Phil :-) I've figured out most of the codes by comparing cars and broadcast sheets whenever I can find them. I once documented a highly optioned 62 SS that had the original broadcast sheet and window sticker which I used to decode the broadcast sheet. I've also benefited greatly from info on other websites and from people who've given me clues to how these sheets can be broken down and decoded.

For example, the engine code box on the broadcast sheet for a car with a V8 VIN would not have a number if the car has a 283, because 283 is the base V8. If the box has a 1 that's the 1st option up from a 283, which in 62 is a 250hp 327, a 2 would be for a 300hp 327, a 3 is a 380hp 409 like yours, a 4 would be a 409/409. The codes all mean combinations of options, and a box without a code means no option. For the boxes with two options like HD Batt / HD Rad, a 1 means the the first option (HD Batt), a 2 means the second option (HD Rad) and a 3 means both options. Some boxes on the broadcast sheet like the seat equip box can have many numbers which I haven't fully decoded because Biscaynes can have air foam front seat option, SS will have bucket seats and a wagon might have split rear seat, all of which have different codes and I haven't seen enough broadcast sheets to cross reference to cars with specific options. However, I will say that broadcast sheets are easier to decode than cowl tag ACC codes because broadcast sheets are consistent, but in 61-62, all the plants did different things and used a lot of different codes for the same option.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Codes made for a smaller piece of paper, I’m sure if you worked in a plant back then, you knew these codes by heart. Sorta like cop talk, a 411 in progress meant something different than it does on a drag strip.