Builder Blues, In a Rut, need to get motivated!!!

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don't beat yourself up, something will click and get you going again. I'm the same way, and I have a '59 Bel Air 2-door post project I'm in the middle of - that I haven't touched in well over a year. Life got in the way, a few injuries got in the way, and plain old laziness/procrastination/apathy got in the way. If I'm being honest, instead of sitting here typing this, I should be out there doing SOMETHING:facepalm! But I can't get going either. But I know I will, and you will too. Don't get discouraged, allow yourself some grace and get after it when you're ready. These things are supposed to be fun, so don't force yourself if your heart isn't in it right now.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What Hobart said was what I was trying to type earlier and couldn’t. I’ve been in this boat many times before and it ain’t no fun. I guess the truth does hurt. I’m in the rut right now with a 70 Corvette. I call it my Plastic Pig. I’m close and I’ll get there, I always do and you will to. :good

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Seems as though everyone gets to a point on a project where you don't believe you'll ever finish the build. You might have to work on another project for a while until you need another change, then go back to the 59. Don't pressure yourself and try and enjoy it. As said, it should be fun and enjoyable. Also as said, when your ready to get back into the restoration, make a list of the tasks that need completion, and knock them off one at a time focusing on the smaller picture and before you know it, you'll be finished and ready to burn some rubber.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
It's generally a healthy ADD that gets me on to the next project before finishing the current one. That and as we age our eyes get bigger than our capabilities. I suspect it's 'cause we remember how easy it used to be....

Dave, I'm still chasing that '51 but am playing it a bit coy at the moment. Might be out your way in a week or two :).

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes certainly been there. When i was building my 55, due to some lack of skills i got very discouraged with trying to get things done. Family mortgages, working two jobs, one for the family one for the 55. Then it sat for a couple of years, i had for sale adds written to sell it, yet my mates always encouraged me to hang in there.
I know exactly what you are going through, so what if it takes a little longer.
Just remember one thing! That what you have done and when it is on the road it will always remain yours and when you are driving it you will always feel so proud of your achievement and the looks you get when you are driving it.
If you sell it and someone else finishes of that last 15% of the build, then it will become the new owners car instantly and you won't get any recognition at all.
30 odd years later i still have my 55 on the road and still get a massive buzz when i take it to events.

We are all right behind you and know you will get it done :appl:appl:bow

Gav

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
[QUOTE="Tom Kochtanek, post: 475353, member: 162"]It's generally a healthy ADD that gets me on to the next project before finishing the current one. That and as we age our eyes get bigger than our capabilities. I suspect it's 'cause we remember how easy it used to be....

Dave, I'm still chasing that '51 but am playing it a bit coy at the moment. Might be out your way in a week or two :).[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! It all used to be easy. And the ADD part as well. We subconsciously raise the bar and our "standards" get higher as we get older and slower. Sometimes slower equals patience, but it's usually just slower.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
been in the exact same boat with my 61 to the point i thought of selling it ,just had the motor dynoed and after hearing it run it's going nowhere soon till i bang a few gears ....just step back for a while ..it will be worth it the smiles