Bulb socket

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Where do you guys buy your bulb sockets for the rear taillights? Mine work when they feel like it and I'm getting tired of having to move them around for better contact. I do believe it is a grounding issue with the socket in addition to age. These would be for my '62. I see some plastic ones with a small tab for grounding purposes but do they make the full metal ones like the originals?? Thanx, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
You could add a ground wire. My 66 Chevelle drove me nuts with lights working sometimes! It has the plastic sockets. I ran a wire from the metal part of socket to a good clean ground on both and no more problems.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Remove the socket and take a round metal file and go around the hole and clean off rust and paint and it will most likely be ok if your sockets are tight in the hole.I am saying the holes on the trunk lid and the car body holes on the rear quarters.Most likely they have corrosion or even paint build up.

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clean the bulb itself with a little sand paper as well as the housing hole. Should fix it otherwise yea you will have to add the pig tail to a clean ground. Easy enough to do