California Bumpers??? for example.....

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When one say that a 1962 Chevy has California Bumpers.....what actually do they mean?

Thanks
JB

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thank You

Now was that an option (OEM) or NOS?...or just something the CA's came out with:D

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1 piece bumpers

It was a requirement on all California cars. They thought they were sturdier. Only in California did they think this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was a requirement on all California cars. They thought they were sturdier. Only in California did they think this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys,

just an FYI ... my 58 and 61 wagons Canadian cars also has 1 piece bumper, on the 58 Delray delivery both bumpers are 1 piece, but on the 61 Brookwood front is 1 piece and 3 piece on the rear (maybe because is a 9 pass?) :dunno

Anyhow just an info to pass on :D

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Go figure.....wonder if they were just using what ever they had in stock? :dunno

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I can't speak to the Canadian cars using one piece bumpers, but the CA cars were required by State law to have one piece bumpers. As previously mentioned, it was a safety issue for CA.

stuch

just something else to think about

The one piece bumpers used less brackets also which in my mind made them lighter which is why I think you seen them used on a lot of the drag race cars,less brackets and less bolts:dunno

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
I have walked a few bone yards up here in Canada, and it seems that many if not all the Canadian built 61 and 62 Chev's had 1 piece "California" bumpers, front and back. My theory had always been that they were cheaper, and that the salt would probably not have been a good thing in those joints in the bumpers.

:dunno

Best Regards
Bubbletop61