Cam button on flat tappet cam?

Gus68

Well Known Member
Hey guys. So I tore in to my truck 409 this weekend and found this solid aluminum cam button on the front of the cam . I have never seen this done before. I bought this motor about 3 years ago but haven't tore into it till now. The motor was rebuilt by a well known builder in the area. BUT he has recently passed away. Everything inside looks great, it's been bored 30, new bearings... all the usual. Except it was built for the truck it was intended for. Low compression pistons and stock cam, so NO race car stuff. I'm just confused on why a cam button would be needed? Has anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 20201121_133859.jpg
    20201121_133859.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41

427John

Well Known Member
Hey guys. So I tore in to my truck 409 this weekend and found this solid aluminum cam button on the front of the cam . I have never seen this done before. I bought this motor about 3 years ago but haven't tore into it till now. The motor was rebuilt by a well known builder in the area. BUT he has recently passed away. Everything inside looks great, it's been bored 30, new bearings... all the usual. Except it was built for the truck it was intended for. Low compression pistons and stock cam, so NO race car stuff. I'm just confused on why a cam button would be needed? Has anyone seen this before?
Probably just preference as a builder,a little insurance to prevent something coming back?

Gus68

Well Known Member
That was my thoughts too. I see no reason for it. But this is my first look in a 409, just wanted to get some thoughts from the experts. I'm definitely going to switch the cam and will probably ditch the button