Cam choice stock 348 with tri power

neilswheels

Well Known Member
I had an issue with me rebuilt 348 (15 years ago)that had sat, and wouldnt turn over, so I had it stripped down and checked, luckily, just tight wrist pins. So, now knowing I havent got a huge engine rebuild bill, I'm looking at dropping a cam in it.
Don gave me some good advice on a Show Cars cam, but Show cars dont have any, and will not 'for the foreseeable future'.
My engine builder recomended comp cams, as did Don, so I went to the Summit site, found the mld one, and asked a few questions, like what lifters will i need, will it need new springs, can I use the stock rockers, etc, and had a slightly worrying reply from a guy that had tried this cam, basically, it doesnt work wthout block work
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-48-600-5
As I think this cam is the mildest cam Comp Cams make, can i fit a cam without machine work?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Call Competition Products and ask about Howards Cam number CL131101-12. This cam is very close to the 0950 cam.I know that they have the necessary cores if they don't already have one ground and sitting on the shelf.As to that Comp you listed not only no but HELL no.

Last edited:

Gofish

Well Known Member
I have a 280 horse 348 tri-power and I put a show cars 0902 solid lifter cam in it (basically the 350 hp 348 cam). Works fine, but probably gives up some hp compared to other offerings.

https://show-cars.com/sites/default/files/solid-camshafts.jpg

EDIT: more info.... it idles smooth as silk, has a great clackety-clack solid-lifter sound and has good power, although it’s in a 2000 lb car with 4.11 gears. Giddy up.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to that cam that Neil posted.His engine is a 9.5-1 no valve relief stock rebuild.The most intake duration they can stand is 220@..050.The Comp Cam mentioned is 225 and the result will be bent valves.There was the question about the possible need for block grinding,not needed with this cam with it's .498 exhaust lift.You only need to be concerned when you're going past .550 in a 348 block.The other thing negitive about this part is that that cam is ground for noise not effency meaning that his gas mileage will stink.Neil lives in England.If you think your gasoline bills are high just look at what his must be :shock1.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I will say that even though I'm of performance minded myself, I think the thumper camshafts are great for anyone that wants to run on the street only. Its kind of like my side exhaust setup, its only for show but it still works. I don't care to mention (but I will) that I was beat at the drag strip by Paul's 62 with a Thumper cam in it.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
That’s all very interesting, thanks guys.
Yep, gas is £1.18 a litre at the moment, so I think I’ll walk away from the thumper cams generally. (There’s about 3.7 litres in a US gallon)
As Don said,it’s a completely stock late 58 348 with tri power. It will have headers, but nothing more fancy than that

To be honest boxerdog, show cars were less than helpful on this, with just a one line answer , ‘ out of stock, no eta on new stock’ basically.

Thanks Don, I will do that. Will Competition Products be able to help with lifters and springs, and will I need rockers, or will I be ok with stock?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If the lifters that you have are new you can keep them,stock rockers are fime.Yes they can help on the springs and you'll want better push rods.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Neil. when I built the 348 in my 61, I used an ISKY 262 Hydraulic"Supercam"
isky 262.JPG

my cam card varies a little bit from the image off Isky site, my lift says 488 at 0 with 1.7:1 rockers, and a lobe centre of 112 degrees, the engine has a smooth idle with a little cam, I am at 9.5:1 comp with a 700R, on a trip it gets around 14mpg (imperial).
I have found it pulls my 61 along pretty well, not a rocket ship but a good torquey power plant, no issues with valve springs etc..

I am building a stroked 348 and using a Howards cam 130991-10, 548 lift at 0 with 1.7:1 rockers, I put one of these cams in a stock 409 and had no issues with 11:1 pistons.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Thanks Grub. I’ve emailed Comp Products, see what they say re availability, as it’s listed as not in stock.