cam degree question

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My cam card specs say intake opens at 20.0 BTDC and closes at 52.0 ABDC @ .050 tappet lift with center line at 108*. If I install cam at 4* advance how will it affect these numbers?

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't have the skill to post a picture so I'll have to post card numbers as written:
CAM TIMING OPENS CLOSES MAX LIFT DURATION
@ .050 intake 20.o BTDC 52.0 ABDC 106* ATDC 252.0
tappet lift exhaust 62.o BBDC 14.0 ATDC 114* BTDC 256.0

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
unfortunately the post didn't print with the spacing that was entered. It's pretty hard to decipher as it came out.
The headings were: CAM TIMING / OPENS / CLOSES / MAX LIFT / DURATION
Hope you can figure out what should be under each heading.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
bwell, if you advance your cam 4 degrees, it will shorten your intake centerline by 4 degrees (104 degrees), and lengthen your exhaust centerline by 4 degrees (112 degrees).

Last edited:

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Will it also affect the valve opening and closing position by 4 degrees?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Advance 4degrees open at 16 close at 48. Another good thing to check especially since some cams are asymmetrical is find max lift and then go 0.050 down ech side to find the centerline of that lobe. I usually do both to double check all my math and the cam was ground right.

From a Car Craft article:

"Intake-Centerline MethodThe intake-centerline method does not require any special setup, but it does require some simple math, so go find your calculator. Begin by rotating the engine clockwise until the dial indicator reads max lift. Zero the dial indicator and rotate the engine counterclockwise until the dial indicator reads roughly 0.100 inch down from max lift. Slowly rotate the engine clockwise until the dial indicator reads 0.050 inch from max lift and record the number on the degree wheel. Next, continue to rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the dial indicator reads 0.050 inch on the closing side of the intake lobe from max lift and record that data.
With our big-block Chevy at 0.050 inch on the opening side of the lobe from max lift we recorded 62 degrees after top dead center (ATDC) and then 151 degrees ATDC at 0.050 inch from max lift on the closing side. Adding these two numbers together and dividing by two will give you the intake centerline. In our case: 62 + 151 = 213 / 2 = 106.5 degrees ATDC. The Comp Cams timing card supplied with our cam calls for an intake centerline of 106 ATDC, so we're within 11/42 degree of dead on. This told us that despite the numbers being off slightly at 0.015, the cam is installed correctly."

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Don,
Will it open the same number of degrees earlier that the cam is advanced?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes it will. Be sure and check about 20 degrees before and after tdc to get your piston to valve clearance as I imigine that cam's got quite a bit of overlap[Healthy],and that's where the problems can occur.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm confused. Everything checked out close to card specs when cam installed straight up. However when I advanced it 4* at the sprocket the numbers increased by 4 instead of decreasing. intake opening @ .050 went from @ 20 to 24 and intake at closing went from 52 to 55.
Just to check I retarded it 4* and opening went to 16 but the other numbers didn't make sense.
I'm pretty sure I did things correctly. Any thoughts or suggestions?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I'm confused. Everything checked out close to card specs when cam installed straight up. However when I advanced it 4* at the sprocket the numbers increased by 4 instead of decreasing. intake opening @ .050 went from @ 20 to 24 and intake at closing went from 52 to 55.
Just to check I retarded it 4* and opening went to 16 but the other numbers didn't make sense.

You need to note the "BTDC", "ABDC", etc. after the numbers. The degrees on the cam car are given in reference to top dead center and bottom dead center of the crankshaft. The intake lobe begins to open before top dead center (BTDC), which means that the number will get larger when you advance the camshaft. If the intake lobe opened after top dead center (ATDC), then that number would get smaller when the cam is advanced. Vice versa when you retard the camshaft.

The Comp Cams website has a pretty decent example image of how the event timing changes when you advance the camshaft.

800-615-ValveTimingIllustration-002.gif

For your camshaft, the timing would be:

As ground:

OPENS / CLOSES / LOBE CENTER / DURATION
Int.: 20° BTDC / 52° ABDC / 106° ATDC / 252°
Exh.: 62° BBDC / 14° ATDC / 114° BTDC / 256°

Advanced 4 degrees:

OPENS / CLOSES / LOBE CENTER / DURATION
Int.: 24° BTDC / 48° ABDC / 102° ATDC / 252°
Exh.: 66° BBDC / 10° ATDC / 118° BTDC / 256°

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Threeimpalas,
Thank you, this is vey helpful. I'll recheck the numbers which were apparently where they should have been when I advanced it 4* ( except what I got for ABDC---but this could be operator error).

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Problem solved, called Crane Cams (should have done it first) cam has 4* advance built in so when I installed it straight up centerline was 106.