Cam install/roller tip rockers

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks again guys. Those present springs with that cam, has taken me to 5000 rpm's several times without issue. I think I'm going to roll the dice on this one and leave those springs as they are. If they are the same spring used with both cams, then maybe I can get lucky. I really know little to nothing about cam/spring specs., closer to nothing actually, but the old cam had a gross lift of 507/507. The one I'm going to install has a gross lift of 468/489, maybe making the existing springs a little more compatible, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
How would I check for coil bind?? I've never done that before. Maybe I could find something on YouTube. I did a little more research on the valve spring issue and came up with some stock valve spring specs. They threw a lot of numbers out, which truthfully, don't mean anything to me. But, one spec. did catch my attention. The author said that a stock spring can safely accommodate a .490 lift without binding. The cam that I'm installing has a .489 lift. The old one had a .507. So, if I assume (bad word I know) that I have stock springs, I'm still under the threshold of acceptance. I still feel and want to believe that the seats were cut and a more compatible spring was used. So, I'm staying on course. No spring change.

As a side note, went on YouTube last night looking around and came across a video showing how to remove a valve spring with the head still on the engine. Have to tell you, that was neat as hell. Never saw that done before. Didn't appear to be difficult at all. I'm sure many here have already done it. He had a little spring compressor which almost looked like it was homemade. What a blessing that has to be. When I think of changing valve springs, I think of head removal. Yuck. No more. I'm sure this method has been around for a while. Guess I'm just a late bloomer, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
After you have your new cam installed and and your rocker arm set then turn the engine over tell the valve if at full lift us a filler gauge and measure the gap between the coils....you want a minimum of .060 clearance.
My guess you will be fine because if you were having coil bind you would of had some bent push rods.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
OK. Thanks LHR. I was just on line and saw exactly what you meant. My new double roller timing set arrived yesterday. The new cam is due for delivery this Tuesday. The gasket set sometime after that. This will give me a chance to clean, prepare and paint some parts. I use to hate cleaning parts. But, I have a different attitude now. I know I can't screw things up. I mean, how easy is it to clean, sand and paint. Going to my speed shop tomorrow and buying a push rod measuring tool. Want to have everything ready when it comes time, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Big day today; I think. UPS delivered my cam/lifters 9P last night. Can you believe that??. Gasket set came earlier in the day. Timing set the day before. Went to the machine shop Monday and learned about coil bind and measuring push rod length. Now I know what to look for and how to measure. Have the heat on in the garage and will be going there shortly. Should have the cam installed today and start buttoning up things. Been working on cleaning and painting the parts also. Hopefully, it will be a good day. I did change my mind about one thing though. I am putting the factory condenser back in although it's a pita. Now is the time to do it. Ok. Gotta go shovel a path to the garage. Don't you just love winters. Yeah. Right, Carmine.