cam lift

427John

Well Known Member
I remember the magazine articles from that time frame saying that the 64 and later HP engines used the same cam profile as the Z-11 cam but I don't know how accurate that was.Did use of that cam coincide with the introduction of the 583 heads?

tenxal

Well Known Member
Am I reading that chart correctly, 2nd design 400 hp and 425 hp use the same cam as Z11? .5567 lift

Yep. As Don said, the 583 heads are designed to accomodate that valve lift. If you use the 'Z11' cam in the 690 heads, the retainers will stack up against the tops of the valve guides. Shortening the tops of the guides allows that cam to work with the 690's.

Years ago, I did a 409-425 for a restoration project. Ran fine, no issues. A few months later, the owner called me and said the engine had developed, as he termed it, ".....really bad problems." When I asked him if he'd done any tinkering to it, he said he hadn't. I went to his place to check it out and could see right away the valve covers, intake and front timing cover had been off after he took delivery of it from me. When I asked him what the deal was, he sheepishly confessed to putting the Z11 cam in it after he had driven it for a while. :rolleyes The retainers were whacking the top of the guide bosses on the 690 heads.

For what it's worth.....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No it didn't John.The 63 and very early 425 hp engines had a cam change and better exhaust manifolds than the 409-409 did.The change to the 583's allowed for the larger Z-11 cam to be used.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep. As Don said, the 583 heads are designed to accomodate that valve lift. If you use the 'Z11' cam in the 690 heads, the retainers will stack up against the tops of the valve guides. Shortening the tops of the guides allows that cam to work with the 690's.

Years ago, I did a 409-425 for a restoration project. Ran fine, no issues. A few months later, the owner called me and said the engine had developed, as he termed it, ".....really bad problems." When I asked him if he'd done any tinkering to it, he said he hadn't. I went to his place to check it out and could see right away the valve covers, intake and front timing cover had been off after he took delivery of it from me. When I asked him what the deal was, he sheepishly confessed to putting the Z11 cam in it after he had driven it for a while. :rolleyes The retainers were whacking the top of the guide bosses on the 690 heads.

For what it's worth.....
So Al, did you fix it? Or did you just tell him where his failure was, besides not being forthright and disingenuous to your question?:dunno

tenxal

Well Known Member
So Al, did you fix it? Or did you just tell him where his failure was, besides not being forthright and disingenuous to your question?:dunno

He opted to pull the heads and have the guides shortened. At my suggestion, he also replaced the retainers and locks. Somewhat in his defense, he was assured there would be no issues using the Z11 cam by a big name 409 parts supplier. Whether they had all the info...who knows? :dunno2

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He opted to pull the heads and have the guides shortened. At my suggestion, he also replaced the retainers and locks. Somewhat in his defense, he was assured there would be no issues using the Z11 cam by a big name 409 parts supplier. Whether they had all the info...who knows? :dunno2
Back when I was looking for Springs for my camshaft I called Comp to see what was best for my set up and 2 of their techs were wrong. I spent a bunch of time trying to learn as much about these motors as I can because I truly want to understand their nuances. After I did the math and it never matched their springs I decided to consult the local machine shop and they confirmed my fears and I bought the correct springs. My 690's have had some work done to them and when selecting my springs that machine work had to be considered to ensure proper fit/performance. The only real issue here is a builder unfamiliar with a specific engine should have taken more time to measure and ask the experts, not a parts supplier.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did late April 1962 update include all the 425 hp parts? I've been told the exhaust manifolds were updated but was the cam changed?