CAM LUBE QUESTION

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use Hylomar on both side of all gaskets like base of carb, water pump, thermostat housing etc. It never hardens like a RTV and the loose bits that fall off inside will disappear unlike an RTV which travels around and clogs things up.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It also has more stick than say an axle grease, great for holding o rings in place on modern stuff that uses an o ring instead of a gasket. Used some on a Merc 225 outboard head for a buddy, after he got it running, he hit 74 mph this summer in his boat.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Another question
The 3 cam bolts that hold the cam gear. Should lock washers be used ?, The bolts that came off were flange head with no lock washers, if no lock washers should I use a medium thread locker such as Loctite blue?

I'd use the red. The only time I use the blue is in small diameters that do not have a good purchase with the tool you take them off with. Any larger hex head has never been a problem using the red. On small stuff like rifle triggers I use clear fingernail polish.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Question about solid lifter valve lash.

I've been reading some various threads on other sites that has me a little confused.
Doesn't the lash amount decrease from cold to hot? My thought has always been that the cold lash will be little less when engine is hot BUT I've been reading some threads that people are saying they use a smaller(less lash) then advertised when cold

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Heat expands, so if the lash is supposed to be lets say .018 cold, when it heats up, it is now less than that. If you would adjust it to less ( don't know exactly what the expansion rate is ) when cold, it would have the potential for holding the valve open when on the heal of the cam after it heats up.