Cam quest

Diezel

Hi, a Little upgrade of the 348 in progress, i bought a set of 10,5:1 pistons with reliefs for valves, from Falcon Global and take the engineblock to the workshop for a 0,20 overbore, and that will give me a little more freedom in my cam selection, i allredy have the cam above in this thread but my brain says rollercam, i never use a roller before but mabye its time now. I have been look around a Little and if the setup is as follows it would be interesting to here what Don and others says about it.
The pistons you knows allready, 409/340hp intake or an Eddie alu smallport intake. headers or blockhuggers 2,5" exhaust and a carb that be matched for the rest. But the cam i figured to use is that one. If its a bad choise please tell me that and give your alternative. This is my first W Engine and my earlier expierence is from Chevy smbl/bbl and some Pontiacs, Ford smbl and Ford Fe and some mopar bbl, so this is new for me!
Best regards from Diezel

Make:
Chevy
Engine:
348/409 "W"
Camshaft Type:
Hydraulic Roller
RPM Range:
1400-5600
Intake Valve Lift:
.525"
Exhaust Valve Lift:
.525"
Advertised Intake Duration:
266°
Advertised Exhaust Duration:
278°
Intake Duration @ .050":
213°
Exhaust Duration @ .050":
225°
Lobe Separation:
112°
Intake Centerline:
108°
Firing Order:
1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I like this cam much better.The "Block-Hugger headers aren't much better than the stock manifolds :sick2,but get a header from Hooker or Wilson headers .The Dougs Tri-y type won't work well because of the 4-7 firing order swap that's used on the Howards hyd.roller cams.The Wilson is a much better fitting header than the Hooker.

Diezel

Thanks Don, and about the intake? and by the way, i get two sets of steel shim head gaskets with the original gm logo 60 years old but in their original package, just for 348 and not for 409, but its for late 58 to 61 so they dosent fit my early 58 heads, but will be god to have on the shelf for ev coming projekts. Next will be some of the headers you recomended!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you can find one of these Edelbrock single carb small port intakes,that would be the best.

Diezel

Its there anyone here as know the weight of a std bore 348 original 9,5:1 piston (1958) complete with pin and rings?
Bought a set of 020 over 10,5:1 and have to know if there is big weight differens. My old pistons is mounted on the rods yet, thats the reason to my quest.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anybody in here that have a videoclip where i can hear how a 0950 cam sounds?

I worked with Don Jacks to configure my Comp cam, and Comp cams, Now I do have a 409 but that shouldn't make to much difference.

I just cant remember if mine was a 0950 or 0951, it was a custom grind they sell relabeled at Show Cars, but I will tell you if Don says its "THE ONE" it is, he knows these engines, WELL. you will not be disappointed. I can tell you, when designing these cams for your particular application, you have to weigh in all the contributing factors, carb, heads, lift, duration, exhaust, intake, compression, all the ingredients.. I could not be happier with my results, some of these guys have spent years learning and trying different things to get the best results, I feel lucky to get advice from this group, they KNOW. Best of luck, I would send you a video of mine but after the break in, on the engine run stand, I have not got the car all connected up properly yet to the cars wiring, but it is in the car, I need to wire it. BUT THE POINT is I have seen it run and know it is the right cam and mix of parts based on the input of whats all involved, good luck.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bangDiezel,it seems that Comp removed this cam from their sound bites when they updated[?] their website.I can't remember which size engine that you have but here's a rule of thumb.A 348 inch engine equipped with an 0950 will have a "noticeable" .lope at an idle of 650-700 rpm,a 380[348 w/409 crank will be smoother due to the longer stroke[more cu.in.],a 409 would barely show up at all.I don't make cam recommend cams by sound alone,but by what the engine is built for's intended use,the weight it's pulling,and over all manners.If your engine's size is a 348 with 9.5 cast pistons,the 0950's duration of 218 @.050 is the largest that you can use without notching the pistons.These cams[0950 ' s] are torque monsters which is exactly what a heavy car needs for impressive performance."Horse power is a state of mind,it's torque that moves the car."'

Last edited:

chuckl

Well Known Member
:bangDiezel,it seems that Comp removed this cam from their sound bites when they updated[?] their website.I can't remember which size engine that you have but here's a rule of thumb.A 348 inch engine equipped with an 0950 will have a "noticeable" .lope at an idle of 650-700 rpm,a 380[348 w/409 crank will be smoother due to the longer stroke[more cu.in.],a 409 would barely show up at all.I don't make cam recommend cams by sound alone,but by what the engine is built for's intended use,the weight it's pulling,and over all manners.If your engine's size is a 348 with 9.5 cast pistons,the 0950's duration of 218 @.050 is the largest that you can use without notching the pistons.These cams[0950 ' s] are torque monsters which is exactly what a heavy car needs for impressive performance."Horse power is a state of mind,it's torque that moves the car."'

I have a 61 replacement 348 truck block, mildly-ported 333 heads, with big valves, .30 over, 10.5 pistons, 0950 cam with Tri-power. I am running 93 non-ethanol gas. Initial timing is 12 and is all in at 34 @ 2500 RPMs. The tranny is a Muncie 21. The 950 cam is perfect for this combination. The lope is noticeable, but smooth. The torque is "attention getting." I have a 56 Belair, 2dr HT with PS, PB, A/C, accessory guard bumpers, Dynamat everywhere, HD sway bars, traction masters, etc. (heavy weight items). Not that I do it all the time, but, at 30 MPH, in fourth gear, WOT, the engine never hesitates.

As Don sez, it's a "torque monster" that will "move a heavy car" with passengers. It will give you excellent power from about 1200 to 5300 RPMs while delivering 13-15 MPG. You will be happy with that cam. :cloud :cloud

Diezel

Thanks to all of you, the Engine is a 348 +020 10,5:1 pistons, sorry i dont give you more info in my post. And like Don says, Comp cams have not the xe 262 camsound anymore but I found a lot of Engines at Youtube with the xe 262 cam . Tanks again to you all of you for the answers!