Camshaft for stock 348

Good point. Just thought someone may have something laying around before purchasing new. I'm very frugal, especially on a double notch 348 going in a patina 4 door 61 Belair.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good point. Just thought someone may have something laying around before purchasing new. I'm very frugal, especially on a double notch 348 going in a patina 4 door 61 Belair.
Anyone have a decent camshaft for a stock 348? Looking for something close to Show Cars 0947 cam in specs.

Thanks in advance!
I'll look around. I may have just the thing. Have patience.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I went through the shelves this morning, thought I'd post pics of what I have laying around. Two sets are hydraulic cams with lifters in order, which as Don said is more desirable, even if they are slightly used. I have one set that has 300 miles on it, I think it was a version of the hydraulic 409/409 cam.
The other one is from Show Cars and also has the lifters. I'll try to put pics of the specs to accompany the two cams.
I also have a 348 cam out of a 655 truck, no lifters. That should go to James for some "W art" :).

Here you go (Don will know more about these than I do at the moment):

Crane cam (in a Comps box):
Comps cam.jpg
Crane cam specs (I think I got these from Mike Bell at our 2014 gathering):
Comps cam2.jpg

Crane cam (same one in the Comps box):

Crane cam.jpg

Crane cam specs:
Crane cam2.jpg

Crane cam invoice:
Crane cam3.jpg

Isky cam:
Isky cam.jpg
Another Iskenderian cam #166 that I recall was the 409/409 grind in a hydraulic version:

: Isky cam2.jpg

Last edited:

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The downside is that if you don't have the lifters that went with that cam,and the exact order in which to put them back in,you're destined for trouble.Cheap is good until it fails.You're going to be money ahead by getting new parts here.
I have the lifters but not in the order they came out because I would never use them again. I agree. New is cheap insurance unless it came out of what you’re doing.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Might have confused myself (and everyone else) as the Crane cam and lifters was riding in a Comps box :). I do not have a Comps cam.

What I have available is that Crane cam and an Isky cam. I did show another pic of an Isky cam and lifters in a box from Show Cars, but that one is not going to be available as it is destined for a specific 348 build I have in mind...

So I went back looking for the card on that Isky pictured and did not find one :(.

I did however find another cam (they seem to be everywhere!), this one also a Crane with the number #3837735, which appears to be a solid lifter cam modelled after the Z-11 grind. Not sure where I got that one! No card on that one either but it did have a stamping that reads "8P0093". Went to the Crane sight but didn't see how to interpret that...

Tom,

Does the Isky without cam card happen to have grind numbers on the end of the camshaft?

So, the one in first pics labeled Show Cars 0921and then 409/409hp with 300 miles on it is the one for your 348 project?

Thanks for taking the time to go through all of these!

Matt

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Matt:

I'll check tomorrow for a grind number on that Isky cam with no card. Forgot to do that today.

The Isky with the Show Cars packaging/box is staying home :). I got it specifically for my 348 double notch build (thanks Don!).

The 409/409 hydraulic cam with matching lifters is one I probably won't be needing. Is that the one Don recommended against as being borderline too big (I guess I'm getting confused with my own stuff :) )?

Tom,

Believe the Crane cam in the Comp box (one cam card is for) is the one that Don is stating would be borderline too big. Is that the 409/409 grind you're referring too?

Thanks again!
Matt

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe the 409/409 grind is the Isky with a few hundred miles on her. Does have the matching lifters. Got those from a member from Texas if I recall correctly (Roger Burnett). I had plans for those then they changed (go figure!).

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
According to the Show Cars 0921 sticker,this cam is on a 110 lobe seperation,208 degrees @.050,rpm range 1500-5,000 ,lift at .488.This would be about 1 1/2 steps hotter than the 340 horse factory cam.Good choice for what Matt is doing.