Camshaft lock plates and sparkly oil

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm posting this to hopefully help someone in the future and to see what others have done in this area.
After having my 409 rebuilt and spending some serious $$$, I got it started tuesday. Sounded great except for a noise in the front. To make a long story short, the cam gear lock plate (from COMP) was rubbing on the inside of my timing cover. The little tabs that were bent up were making the contact. The sound comming from the engine sounded like a metal fan blade on a metal fan shroud.
With some help from Aubrey and a visual inspection this problem exposed its self.
What I was left with was a pan full of dark charcoal metallic looking oil. So the engine is out and is being corrected. I didn't specificaly request this part. It was kind of one of those might-as-well pieces suggested by my machinist. He always uses them on other engines. Luckily the shop is going to make things right for me so this is by no means a rant.
The question from me is, has anyone else experienced this?
Ross

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
cam gear clearance

Is there a torrington bearing behind the cam gear? How is it sticking out that far? Take some pics, front and side. Thanks

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No kind of special bearing behind the cam gear. I'll have to get back with the clearance as the engine is now back at the machine shop. This engine was running at 2000 rpm and I wouldn't think that the cam would walk that much. I am running a cloyes tru-roller.
Ross

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks GURU I'll watch for those clearances when I do mine. I will say on our roundy round small block we just loctite the bolts and have never had a bolt loosen so we dont use the locking tab plate.
Ray

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ross, This is a new one on me. I use lock plates but cant picture how the tabs could stick out that far. Let us know the results. :dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I had a clearance problem on the front of my 09 when I installed a Cloyes True Roller set. What I think happened was the timing cover over time and a few rebuilds was pushed in "over center" I gave the cover a good whack from the inside with a rubber mallet, problem solved! Look at your cover from a side view and see if it is concave.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
While lockplates may be a good idea, has anyone ever had problems with the cam bolts backing out without them or locktite? I never have, and I've never heard of this being a problem, just wonder if we arent trying to re-invent the wheel?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
get bent

When I bent the tabs over on mine they were flush with the head of the bolts or darn close. Comp cams SBC locking tab plate.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cam lock plate and sparkly oil

Ross
I have build a few motors over the years. I use a roller-style cam button
made by Crane ( Small Block) application, plus a locking plate on the cam.
This on a Roller Cam installation. Never had a problem.
DO NOT use a Big Block Roller it is taller and will not fit under the cover.
Allen

PS: I did have the cam alinement steel pin break one time. because I was
using Cam Bushings and the bolts backed off. This will happen If you are
using valve spring in the 500+ range. It will retard cam when pin breaks.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the ideas, guys! Next time arround there's just going to be the 3 bolts with loctite! I believe thats how it was originally and they previously held up for 42 years.
I'll have to inspect the timing cover when I stop in at the machine shop next week.
Thanks again!!!
Ross