Camshaft recommendation

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a 409 +.070, 3.76 crank 690 cylinder heads Ross pistons from Show Cars.
2 camshafts
One is an isky grind 264 hydraulic .300 lift at the cam(says .450 at the valve with1.7 rocker,got to love that)
Two is a Crane- H-263/325-2-10
At the cam intake .325 at the valve with 1.75 rockers .569
exhaust .336. .588
Those are my two options
What do you think?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What are your intentions for the engine?That Isky's TINY for an engine of that displacement,better suited for a basic 348.When choosing cams,go more with the duration at .050 than lift.You can make good power with a lower lift cam.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The Crane cams spec's in at 236 in.,246 ex.@.050,110 lobe seperation.Of the two that you asked about,the Crane wins,hands down,Dan.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Changing a cam and valve train is such a big commitment, IMHO, that I would buy the cam and kit that was right for the application, as opposed to just using what I had lying around. So if the Crane is not ideal, I’d bite the bullet and just get what works best. Way too much work involved to make a compromise decision. But that is just me and what I would do.

Good luck!

Chip

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Is transmission an automatic?

Sticks can tolerate a lumpier cam than and auto with a tight torque convertor.

Is is not a lot more to get a custom cam specifically for your combination.

Need to watch valve to block clearance on the exhaust side.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What do you have for valve springs, or are you planning on building the heads for the cam you pick?

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have valve springs for the bigger cam and the heads are together with them.
Didn't know I had to check valve to block clearance.(it is a car block-JA)
Valve to piston clearance will have to be checked and push rod length.
Race cars are a thing of the past for me so I just want something that sounds good and runs good.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Depends on the block but lift getting over .550 the exhaust valve gets close to the cylinder wall. Why if using a big cam you have to notch it. Maybe why my old high school car with .590 lift broke rocker arms! Too young to know to check it back then. Although Lamar Walden said a lot of the old Crane Cams solids would break rockers.

Crane should be a good sized and sound good.

Valve to piston should be checked also as well as retainer to valve seal/valve guide boss.