Can an Impala be saved after Hydraulics?

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know this has been gone over many times before, but I see an alarming number of people buying nice Impala's just to "cut" them for hydraulics. I am often told my my buddies that I should cut mine. I always say "Hell NO" , you're ruining the car forever for a couple of years worth of fun. They then argue that the frames can be re-welded so as not to look cut if I ever chose to go back to stock, to which my reply is always "You're full of S***". That being said... what's your take on this aesthetically pleasing, yet destructive practice.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To be clear, I am in no way, shape or form, asking how to conceal the fact that a car was ever cut, I'm just looking for "reinforcement" no pun intended ... on my opinion that this is a really destructive practice, of cutting cars. To be honest, sometimes I think about cutting my 62 so I can give it the stance or lay that I want at any particular time, but the other half of me knows that this is a bad bad thing. Not to mention every cut car Ive ever rode in had a bad ride quality.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not to mention patching the horrendous holes in the trunk and possible body warp right? I've seen cutlass and monte carlos that can't even close the door without slamming it, warped quarter panels, and busted motor mounts.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As a Hot Rodder at heart, I tend to admire all good modifications, channeling, roof chops etc etc. I always take the stance that it's their car. they can do what they like. Notwithstanding this, I really like stock bodied cars that have in particular the right proportions and stance.

In general, there are very few Low Riders that have what I would consider the proportions and stance, to me like many Rat Rods ( whatever that means) they are more cartoonish than car.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you do decieide to add hydraulics to your car don't forget the dingle balls around the windows,Lol. Personally I would not cut up a good car for that but its your car and you can do to it what you like. Whats the difference if you cut it up for hydraulics or you cut it up to make a race car out of it, to each his own. I now own a 62 BelAir that was made into a race car by cutting the frame up for a 4 link rear, wide tubs, and the elimination of the 2 piece drive shaft, I don't think you could return it back to stock very easily. I also have personally cut up a 64 Nova to build a race car that is beyond returning to stock, this world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same thing.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've said this before in other posts. If we didn't chop, cut, replace parts in these cars there would be no aftermarket to keep them alive and very well. The sky is the limit in the aftermarket world due to everyone fixing these cars up the way they like. News flash: back in the early 60's they made millions of these cars (1963 1,725,001 made in one year alone). You can still trip over one for sale a mile in any direction. 75842 Ford Mustangs were made in 2018. 30 years from now people will be pissed they can't find a door handle to restore their pride and joy. They will have to use a 3D printer to make one. If you pull 1 screw off of your factory perfect car it is no longer factory perfect. I would put money down that no one on this site are running all factory parts in their motors, on their cars... These things are built to replace parts so do what you like. Not likely you would ever put forth the time, money or resources to restore a car back to original after its been modified with hydraulics but you can buy another one.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did coil overs on my 63 with tubular arms front & rear. I didn’t cut anything plus I rebuilt my stock stuff have it packed away just in case the car ever gets sold “highly unlikely” for my liking I can give the car any stance I want. As far as cutting for bags don’t know why you would there are so many kits that bolt right in, and you just relocate the front shock and you use all the stock suspension. Ezairride.com has a very affordable kit which a friend of my did on his 64 works great drove even better. I originally purchased that kit but changed my mind cause of all the plumbing & air tank but that’s me changing my mind is a bad habit the reason my car is still in progress:laugh4